Present to Future: Part Four

A/N: WARNING: this chapter is an emotional rollercoaster

Meanwhile in the tent: (third person's perspective)

And with that Hermione stormed out. Leaving Harry and Ron alone in the tent. To talk, or fight, or whatever they wanted to do. But she wanted no part of it.

"Why are you here?" Harry asked, swallowing the lump in his throat.

"Do I need a reason? You guys are my best-"

"Why. Are you here?" Harry repeated.

"I left. I shouldn't have. I don't know why I did. I didn't realize how much you guys meant to me until yesterday when I-" Ron was cut off again

"YESTERDAY?" Harry yelled, then lowered his voice in fear that Hermione might hear it. "You have known us ever since you were ten Ron, TEN! You were gone for so long, and it took you WEEKS to figure out how much we meant to you?" Harry scoffed.

"Let me explain-"

"I can't believe it! I can take the fact that you left me. Do you have ANY idea what your departure did to Hermione?" Harry was furious. No one can hurt her. She didn't deserve it.

"Well, I think so. I think that the first chance she got, she songged you." Ron said with confidence. And that was when a punch hit Ron in the face.

"How dare you speak about her that way! I am absolutely disgusted! Hermione was depressed for so long. She wouldn't stop crying. She was crying all the bloody time! And when she didn't, she wouldn't utter a word. The last time she spoke to me was the day you left. We were talking during dinner, and the next morning she went entirely silent. It took me a whole entire month to get her to start talking! She just sat in the corner, broken and sad and it's all your fault!" Harry yelled. It hurt him to even think about the sight of Hermione.

There was silence. After Harry's yelling Ron said nothing. No apology, no consolation, nothing. Harry wanted to make him understand. He wanted Hermione to be happy. He always did. "Here." Harry finally broke the silence. "Let me paint a picture for you."

Flashback: (Harry's perspective)

A week after Ron left.

Harry is telling the story to Ron.

I walked back into the tent from taking a short stroll outside for a breath of fresh air. I walked back in to see what I had been seeing for a week: Hermione sitting near a small kerosene lamp with her knees hugged to her chest, just staring into the flames.

Her eyes glistened with the tears that she refused to let down. I knew what she was thinking. She felt abandoned. She wanted to leave. I walked to her and kneeled in front of her, lifting her chin so her eyes would meet mine. So she knows I'm telling the truth.

"Hermione, if you want to leave you can." I said to her.

No response. She just stared at me with an unreadable, but hurt expression.

"I know you said you wouldn't leave. I can't help but think that... maybe that's the reason you're not. I'm giving you an out. I can't stand seeing my best friend crumble in front of me. You can leave, I won't judge you. I'll still be your friend." I looked at her for a reply, a blink, a nod, anything.

No response. Instead, she just turned her head back to the lamp and laid her head on her knees.

The day Hermione started talking.

Harry is telling the story to Ron.

I was sitting on the picnic tables inside the tent. Away from view. I had told Hermione that I was going out for a walk, and I did. But, when I came back, she wasn't here. I saw that she had placed an empty piece of paper on my bed, paper weighted by a stone. I took it as an indication to a note that says:

I'm going for a walk. Be back soon. - Hermione.

I was looking at a few old pictures. Three in particular. The first one was the three of us, in third year. The second one was me and you from first year. And the last one was... me and Hermione. Sixth year. After she was hurt by you and Lavender. Someone had taken a picture of us on the stairs and put it in the school newspaper. I cut the image out and saved it. It was an unforgettable moment in our friendship. I put the other two down and was just staring at the one with me and Hermione when I heard footsteps.

I knew Hermione was back. I was just about to get up to go greet her when I heard her... crying. Louder, and sadder, and more aggressive than ever before. I don't think she realized that I was back. I hadn't moved the note on my bed; I think she paused and made sure I wasn't here but looking at the position of her note she left me. Since it was in the exact same place, she must've assumed I had not gotten back yet.

She was screaming and crying. Her voice shattered my heart. I felt a tear escape as I peered around the corner to get a look at her. She looked so... broken on the ground. I decided that this was it. I couldn't stand this for even a millisecond.

I ran to her, crouched and pulled her into the tightest hug I could ever give. For a second she didn't do anything. Then she pushed me away, and turned away from me.

A/N: First Time In Forever (Reprise) vibes.

"Hermione stop." I told her. "Please don't shut me out again. Please don't slam the door. You don't have to keep your distance anymore." she stood up and tried walking away from me. I grabbed her wrist and spun her around to face me. "Because I finally understand. I let you have your space. It's been a month Hermione! A whole. Entire. Month! You are going to have to start talking! I can't handle seeing you like this. My heart is breaking for you 'Mione. Just please, talk to me. Talk to me Hermione!"

"You want me to talk to you? FINE!" she yelled. I was surprised! It worked! But not in the way I wanted it to.

"I can't Harry! I just can't! It just hurts so much! He just left! He left in his right mind and didn't even say goodbye!" she sobbed. I just looked at her. Completely understanding.

"Her-" she cut me off. I don't think she heard me talking.

"And you know what stinks most of all? You were ready to sacrifice your happiness for mine and his! And he just COMPLETELY disregarded that and spoke crap about you! I told you what happened in the tent after you left! I just- I can't believe I still have feelings for him. I can't believe that after all this time, you, the one who's affected most is keeping your cool and I'm just a pathetic weak girl." she cried.

"Hey! Don't say that. Don't ever say that. You are the bravest, strongest, kindest, most compassionate person in this ENTIRE world. I will not let you think about yourself like this because of some asshole who left you." I held her shoulders and looked into her eyes while I said this.

I exhaled and leaned back on the leg of the table we were sitting on the floor near. Hermione was just looking down and still crying. "Come here you." I wrapped my arms around her and brought her closer to me. She was positioned sideways as he leaned her head on my chest. I softly ran my hands through her hair to calm her down.

It worked. Within minutes, she was peacefully asleep against my chest. I waited until she was in a deep sleep before levitating her a little bit off the ground so I could get up. Then, I carried her to her bed bridal style and laid her down.

I turned around to head to my bed when I felt a soft pressure on my hand. I turned around to see Hermione holding on to it. "Please don't leave." she whispered. "Not you too." I sat on her bed and put us back in the position we were in, on the floor.

"Never." I whispered back. I rested my chin lightly on her head and drifted off to sleep. No one has to keep watch tonight.