Epilogue - Part 3

Kat called me at seven the next morning, a few minutes after Adam had left.

"It's our last day on the beach," he'd told me as he dashed out the door. "We need to make an early start to get the lighting right."

My spirits plummeted as the door closed behind him. There were three days of filming left, and I was marking the time off on a calendar in my head. I'd have liked nothing more than to bury my head in the sand until it was over, but no way would Kat allow me to do that.

"Get up, sleepyhead," she said, way too perky for that time in the morning. "I've booked us massages in the main building at eight."

I stifled a groan. "Sounds great."

"Careful, don't show too much enthusiasm."

"Sorry. I'm not feeling myself at the moment."

"Tell me you're not still clinging to that crazy notion that Adam's doing the dirty?"

Yes. "No, of course not."

"Callie, I know you're my best friend, but sometimes I want to shake you. I'll be over in half an hour. Make sure you're dressed."

I sighed and rolled out of bed. At least if I was busy with Kat all day, it would keep my mind off other things. With that in mind, I took a quick shower and twisted up my hair, then threw on a pair of shorts and a T-shirt. I'd just shoved my feet into a pair of flip-flops when Kat hammered on the door.

"You'd better be up," she yelled.

There was no subtlety about Kat. Not only was I wide awake, but the guests in the villas either side undoubtedly were too.

"I'm ready," I said, opening the door. "And your cheerfulness is hurting my brain."

"Today's going to be a good day," she insisted. "Trust me, you'll love it."

The last time she'd said those words—two years ago when she'd talked me into going dry-slope skiing with her in England—I'd ended up with a twisted ankle and a scraped elbow.

I trailed behind her as she walked to the long, low building that housed the hotel reception, a couple of meeting rooms, and the health suite. She turned right when we entered and started down a corridor.

"I thought the beauty rooms were that way?" I pointed in the other direction.

"Nope, this is definitely right. I checked last night."

Except we didn't end up in a treatment room. Kat flung open a set of double doors and...

"Surprise!" she shouted, bouncing up and down and clapping her hands.

I stared at her like she'd gone quite mad.

"What's all this?" I hissed.

People were milling around everywhere. Racks of dresses took up one side of the room, and what appeared to be a beauty salon had been set up on the other. An intimidating lady with a clipboard and an earpiece strode towards us.

"It's the stuff for your wedding. Isn't it great?" Kat couldn't keep the grin off her face.

"My what?"

She lifted my left hand and pointed at the ring. "Your wedding. You know, to the man you've been engaged to for months?"

What? I felt faint.

"We need a chair over here," the clipboard lady yelled.

One was thrust behind me, and I collapsed into it. A wedding? But we hadn't even set a date.