Chapter 17

"We haven't missed the tide, have we?"

"Relax," Gabe said from the front seat. "We've got plenty of time."

Relax? How could I relax? Kat was still missing. I'd tried calling her ten times this morning, and we'd stopped at her apartment on the way to Lionhouse Reef, but nothing had changed.

Today, Hamid was behind the wheel of the pickup—the same Bedouin who'd driven us on our previous excursions. I gripped Adam's hand in the back seat, and I had to keep reminding myself he wasn't a stress toy. He hadn't said anything, but I'd noticed him grimace a time or two when I squeezed too hard.

I stared out of the window, watching but not seeing the passing scenery. Two trains of thought warred for my headspace. Firstly, Kat and Mo—I was beyond scared for them, but at the same time, I couldn't bear to think about what might have happened.

Better to think about Adam, and in particular, what had happened last night. Although we hadn't gone all the way, we'd definitely taken a step forward. And I'd loved every second of it.

I glanced at him from under my eyelashes. That man made my insides turn cartwheels. He made me feel with every strand of my DNA.

And last night, he'd said he was mine.

Well, I was his. I just needed to find the courage to tell him.

But Kat and Mo took priority. We got through the first checkpoint by paying the requisite fee, no problems, but when we reached the second, we hit a snag. Four policemen were on duty there. None of them looked friendly, and they all had guns.

I clutched at Adam's fingers while Hamid fired off rapid streams of Arabic, only to be met with grunts and shrugs in response. Gabe tried as well, but eventually he too admitted defeat.

"They won't let us past. They say the dive sites are closed for maintenance."

"Maintenance?" What maintenance? "Seriously? It's just rocks and sand."

"Exactly what I said. It's bullshit. We even offered them extra money, but they wouldn't play ball. We can't go past."

"Why would they say that?"

"No idea. A lot of things that happen in Fidda Hilal have no logical explanation."

"Is there another way around?"

"Not unless you can abseil down a mountain."

"So what do we do now?"

"We go back. We don't have a choice."

I tried to protest, but Hamid swung the truck in a wide arc and headed back the way we came.

"Can we go to the police station, see if we can get them to grant us permission?" Adam asked.

Gabe let out a long sigh. "Sorry, but I can't. If you cross the police around here, they make your life a living hell. And I've got a small issue with my work permit."

"What kind of issue?"

"I don't have one. But don't worry, my PADI qualification is absolutely kosher."

"Dare I ask why not?" A note of exasperation tinged Adam's words.

"They're scarce as hens' teeth, and even if you can get one, they're expensive—about eight thousand Egyptian pounds. Most foreigners here just take a chance and pay the occasional bribe for the police to turn a blind eye to the problem."

"Fine." Adam's exasperation turned into full-blown annoyance. "In that case, can you at least drop us off at the police station and we'll go in on our own?"