Chapter 19

That evening, I paced around my villa, hoping the monotonous motion would shake something free in my brain. But nothing rattled loose.

After my hundredth pass in front of the sofa, Adam reached out and snagged my hand.

"Sweetheart, wearing the floor out isn't going to help."

"I know, I know. I'm just so... Arrrrgh."

I tore at my hair in frustration as I flopped down beside him. Right away, his arms wrapped around me, holding me in place so I couldn't get tempted to do another circuit.

He kissed me gently on the temple. "I am too, but we need to get some sleep. Neither of us is at our best right now."

I captured his lips with mine. I didn't need sleep; I needed a distraction. And he gave it to me, trailing soft kisses along my jawline as one hand squeezed my ass.

"You want me to take your mind off things, baby?"

"Yes."

I wanted to escape to a world that wasn't this one.

He kissed me again, more deeply this time, and his fingers left fire in their wake as he peeled me out of my shirt. He tried to extinguish the flames with his tongue, but all that did was make things hotter.

I wrapped my legs around his waist as he picked me up, and we both landed on the bed in a tangle of limbs. I wasn't sure where I ended and he began. The Ass was mine. Over the next few hours, he took me on a journey through sweet oblivion, giving me everything I'd been missing in six wasted years with Bryce.

The trip to heaven was a sharp contrast to my day in hell.

With hindsight, perhaps we should have spent more time sleeping, but what were a few dark circles between friends? I needed Adam like a glutton needed dessert.

Our exhaustion wasn't helped by another unproductive day of searching. Although we did manage to track down Simone and Elaine, the two girls I'd met at Kat's when we had that movie night. Simone seemed nervous, and her eyes kept darting around as if just speaking to us could get her into trouble.

"Give me your number, okay? If I hear anything, I'll text you. But I know I won't. That's not how it works around here."

Elaine was a little more positive, maybe because she was several years older with slightly more backbone.

"I haven't heard anything, but I'll keep an ear out. Why don't you try contacting the families of the other missing girls? Just in case the disappearances are linked? Three voices might be harder to ignore than one."

Why hadn't we thought of that? Most likely because my thoughts were so jumbled by then that I could barely string a sentence together.

"Great idea. Do you have any idea who they are?"

"Simone knew the waitress. I'll call her."

"She wasn't very helpful when we spoke to her earlier."

"Then I'll have to be convincing. I'm afraid I never met Irina, but perhaps you could try the watersports club?"

"We'll do that. And thank you—you have no idea how much this means."

A single tear rolled down her cheek. "Kat was my friend, too."

"