Chapter 16

When I told Adam about Kat's invitation the next day, for dinner and a movie, he was more nervous than I thought he'd be.

"Kat won't bite. Just be yourself."

"It's not that, it's just...never mind. Of course we can go. It's kind of her to invite us."

"Awesome. My two favourite people in Fidda Hilal at the same table."

"Kat and Mo?"

"Kat and you, you dope."

I was starting to get used to it now, but that smile still made my heart skip.

"Glad that was your answer. So, what do you want to do for the rest of the day? I picked up a brochure from the tour company in reception."

I flicked through it. Trips to Petra and St. Katherine's monastery, horse riding, camel trekking, dinner in the desert at a Bedouin village...

"These all look great, but we'd need to book them in advance. Why don't we choose something for tomorrow?"

"Sounds good. The Bedouin dinner?"

"Why not?"

"But that still leaves today," Adam pointed out.

"How about we pop into town? I need to pick up some gifts, and I haven't had a chance to mooch around in the high street yet."

I may have got a tiny bit carried away with the shopping

I may have got a tiny bit carried away with the shopping. For such a hot country, the shops sure sold a lot of scarves, and I bought a whole rainbow of them, plus every time a waif of a child asked me if I wanted to buy a bracelet made from colourful string, of course I said yes.

I got dried hibiscus flowers to make tea, a guidebook for the town, and a couple of necklaces. I fell in love with a painting of a dolphin and that found its way into my bag too, as did a selection of postcards and a miniature shisha pipe, just because it was twinkly.

Adam bought a T-shirt.

Although he'd agreed to come into town, he didn't seem to be having much fun. Shopping had actually been one of Bryce's strong points—although he used to gripe about the prices, he understood colour, and he didn't mind spending an afternoon on the high street. Adam moped around, waiting in the corner of each shop while I browsed.

"We can go if you want. I don't have to do this."

"If you want to shop, we'll shop," he insisted.

I wrapped it up early. I could always go back another day with Kat. She loved shopping too. I'd already seen at least ten of the scarves hanging on a hook in her apartment, and she kept her bracelets stuffed into a pot on a side table.

We were due at Kat's at six, which gave us plenty of time to shower and change. I decided on a jade green skirt with a sparkly white tank top. Even though it was just Kat's and she'd seen me in my pyjamas often enough, I was going with Adam so I still wanted to look nice. A pair of jewelled sandals, and I was ready to leave.