Chapter 27

I woke up the following morning to the overly cheerful sound of Sister Sledge's "We Are Family" coming from my phone. Kat was calling.

"How are you doing?" she asked. "I tried calling last night, but you didn't answer."

"Oh, I think I left my mobile at home," I said without thinking.

"Left your phone behind? Where did you go?"

"Uh, out."

"Where?"

"To a restaurant."

"Who with, Callista?"

She knew, didn't she? "Bryce," I answered, cringing into my pillow.

"Callie! How could you? After the way he treated you?"

It was a testament to modern technology that I could hear every inflection of her pissed-offness. I didn't need to stand in front of her to see the peeved look on her face.

"He came over, and he was nice to me. He vacuumed."

"He vacuumed? Oh, that makes up for everything. Callie, he left you at the altar."

"Technically, it was three days before that part."

"Stop sticking up for him. What he did was indefensible."

"I was feeling lonely."

"But Adam—"

"We're not talking about him. Ever."

I had to stay strong about this. One small mention, one tiny thought, and I'd tumble down the slippery slope.

"Callie, you can't keep avoiding the issue."

"I can and I will. So, how's Mo?"

She huffed, no doubt stamping her foot in frustration. "Getting better every day. He tried walking yesterday afternoon."

"That's great! He'll be zooming around in no time."

"I hope so. The signs are good. At this rate, he'll be able to fly in a few days, with a doctor along for the ride, of course."

"So I'll see you soon?"

"Yep. I'm missing you."

"Missing you too. Did they find any sign of Irina?"

"They've come up with an arm and part of a leg so far. They reckon Eid dismembered the girls with the replica samurai sword hanging on his living room wall."

Good thing I was lying down when she said that because I'd have ended up flat on the floor otherwise.

Kat carried on, oblivious. "He had to cut them up small to get the bits through the checkpoints without anybody noticing. It was only Captain Ibrahim and some of the higher-ups who were in on the plot."

"Enough, Kat."

"Sorry. Just thought you might like the details."

"That's more Bryce's thing. He wanted to know all about my trip last night."

Kat laughed. "Nosy bugger. He can watch it on TV the same as everybody else."

"Exactly. I told him I didn't want to discuss it."

We chatted for a few minutes, then Kat said she had to visit Mo. She promised to call again soon. Her phone was now sponsored by Vodafone, apparently, so she could call anyone she wanted for free.

Two hours later, a knock at the door startled me as I was making a sandwich for lunch. The knife clattered to the counter. Surely it wasn't Bryce again?