Chapter Eleven: A new beginning

"YOU?!" James and the stranger both exclaimed. Ryan looked behind him and grabbed his knife about to stab the attacker. Out the corner of James eye he saw the glimmer of a blade, "Don't" he said to Ryan, grabbing his wrist and pushing it aside. Ryan scowled and put his knife away. He then lifted his gun up and surveyed the area, they were going to get caught if the James and the stranger didn't get a move one. "Move it lovebirds, we haven't got the time" Ryan said with a hint of jelousey in his voice.

The stranger got up without a sound and helped up James, they then continued to run across the courtyard, now with one more member of their small gang.

"Get down" Ryan hissed pointing up to a watchtower. Snipers, this was about to get a whole lot more difficult. The three ducked behind a building, they were so close to the fence but they didn't know how to get through it nor how to avoid the snipers. Then the stranger darted off, their boots hardly making a sound on the hard dirt. James and Ryan watched in awe as the stranger climbed up onto a roof using only a water drain that clung onto the side. The stranger then clasped their hands together and made what sounded like an owl noise which of course alerted the sniper in the closest watchtower. "What the fuck are they doing?!" Ryan hissed once again, both angry and worried. "Just watch" James said in a calm voice while watching the stranger intently. In the blink of an eye the stranger pulled out a silenced pistol and shot the sniper square between the eyes, the guard fell dead on the floor.

They ran back over with the same silence as they had run up the building with. They got to Ryan and James who looked at them in shock but there was no time for questions at this very moment. The stranger nodded towards the fence and the three got up and ran towards it.

The fence was at least 10ft tall and was chain link. At the top was rows upon rows of rusty barbed wire, unless the could bring it down there would be no way of getting over that. "The only way is under." Ryan shrugged and crouched down, he lifted the fence gently and wiggled his way through trying not to get stuck on the sharp edges of the fence. The stranger was second, they slithered through quickly making sure not to draw any attention to the gang. Then it was James, there was no way his ribs could take it and the only way through would be on his back.

James gently crouched down, he passed his guns through first then slowly lowered himself and started to edge his way through the gap. He was only about halfway through when a large brute came running round the corner screaming a battle cry with what looked like a bat with nails on in hand. James panicked and shuffled backwards faster causing his shirt to get caught on one of the bits of metal. He tugged at it, cursing under his breath while the other two tryed to drag him through the gap without injuring him any further. The brute got closer and closer, swinging the bat round his head like a maniac as James finally managed to rip himself free. He kicked his legs and pushed himself under the fence, he was free. The stranger shot the brute in the head who was grasping at the fence like some sort of rabid animal. The brute fell to the floor as dead as the strangers previous victims.

The trio turned around, the vast wasteland loomed over them, they didn't know what nightmares they may face, but they were determined, guns over their shoulders and knives in their belts they started they're long journey. First stop, getting out of Glasgow.