Chapter 25 : Sanctuary?

After finally figuring out how to work the Green Pea an island came into view. Almost invisible from the fog that had been drifting over the ocean for half their journey. James rung the bell from inside of the captains cabin. Like magic wasp appeared behind him, "JESus fucking Christ DON'T DO THAT?" He shouted at wasp who looked slightly surprised from James's sudden outburst. James took a deep breath after the scare then spoke calmly, "I think that's our island up ahead, that or we've accsidedntly made it to France."

As they got closer to sanctuary it was not what they expected, no rolling green fields or white fluffy sheep grazing high up on the hills. Instead it was covered in a thick layer of smog, smoke from what looked like giant factories rose up into the air making a dark grey cloud around the entire city. The bell on the green pea swung lightly too and fro making little clinks as the ball hit the metal sides. Wasp was now back down in the bottom decks of the boat collecting all essentials and rummaging through the previous inhabitants belongings. James was preparing his speach and overthinking about what will happen when they docked. And in what felt like minuites they did just that.

The dock was loud and full of boats of all shapes and sizes, the dock was made out of large planks of wood that creeked as the waves hit the posts. People stood on the wide dock with stalls full of weapons, armour, bullets, rations, clean water and even pets. All of whom were shouting "GOODS, COME GET YA GOODS!" or often "GET THEM BEFORE THEY'RE GONE HIGH QUALITY PISTOLS!" Cortesans and Harlots stood on the docks ushering over sailors getting off the boats. It was loud, too loud.

James put his hat on and tilted it down as he got off the boat and began to tie it onto the docks. Immediately a man in an open shirt and very skinny jeans walked over too James, putting a hand on his shoulder and letting it drift down onto his chest, "Want someone too keep you company?" The man asked seductively. James pushed the man's hand away and got back to tying up the boat.

Wasp jumped off with two rucksacks full of stuff, James gun was strapped to one of them. He took it and put it on then they both walked hastily down the peer and onto the main Street where even more people were gathered. Homeless lay dying on the streets, children hurried through crowds of adults and raiders stood in alleyways hoping some oblivious visitor would come their way. James coughed, the air felt different, less radioactive which was good but it felt stronger. The kind of air that burned as you inhaled then coated your lungs with a thick layer of tar and ash leaving you gasping for air.

So far, no one had stopped them for not being with the green peas captain. All the commotion had made them both feel invisible in the crowd of survivors they walked in. James took out the bloodstained note that Ryan had given to him:

82a Sanctuary road
- Kayla

He looked at wasp, let's get out of here, let's find Kayla. Wasp looked back at James, and spoke quietly, "are you sure you wanna do this?" They said, a hint of concern in their voice.

James had to do this, it was the only thing that kept him alive for all this time. It was his mission. He looked back at wasp with ocean blue eyes filled with determination, "Yes, let's go." James grabbed Wasps hand and dragged them through the crowded streets.