Chapter 16: A different kind of human

He held him in his arms, making him comfortable. Why here, why now. It wasn't fucking fair. He drew his last final breath as his eyes drifted up into the pale orange sky. He was gone.

The morning before:

James yawned and looked down finding Ryan resting his head on his chest. "Mornin'" James said softly while shaking Ryan awake gently. Ryan's eyes fluttered open and he let out a groan and a mumble of words. Seagulls screamed above them and vicious waves crashed up the beach. Wasp was already awake, they were sitting on an old beach shack, unmoving just starting out to sea. Wasp didn't move, they didn't even shiver when a gust of icy wind blew past.

James gently stood up, pushing Ryan off of him. He walked over too the shack where wasp was sitting. The walls were made of wood and the blue paint had almost completely peeled off, of what James could see of the inside it was completely destroyed and and the small windows were smashed.

James climbed up to sit next to wasp, "You ok?" He asked without making eye contact, no answer, "Silent again huh?" James said to both himself and what seemed like the empty shell of wasp. Something was wrong, he could feel it but he didn't know quite what.

James whistled, "LETS GO" he waved over to Ryan who was now picking up all the bags and supplies and took them over to James and wasp. James jumped down and grabbed the bag from Ryan then handed up wasps bag. "Thanks" he said to Ryan with a friendly smile then they started off down the road once again.

The afternoon:

They had been walking all morning and were running out of rations fast. Wasp still hadn't spoked since the night before, to Ryan, it felt like they knew something that he and James didn't. Ryan shook the thoughts out of his head, he couldn't start getting paranoid now. They were so close but there was still that anxiety nagging at the back of Ryan's head. It's too quiet, there was nothing, not a shout, not a rattle of a machine gun, nothing. But Ryan shouldn't complain, at least he wasn't getting shot at.

The gang was just leaving Girvan and a fog tumbled down and created a misty haze that clouded their vision. It got so bad that they could hardly see over their own feet and James kept stumbling over rocks and rubble. Then out of the blue, a noise. A electronical noise, unlike any James or Ryan had ever heard and a blue pillar of light appeared and dissapeared.

A voice came out of the fog, not a human or even mutant voice but something fake, something man made. "Unit C3-2 the Institute needs to speak with you." The voice said, who the fuck were they speaking to, who was C3-2 what the hell was going on. James eyes darted around attempting to look at the person, or rather, machine that was speaking to them. As he looked around he saw Ryan and he saw himself but no wasp. Wasp was gone.