Chapter eight: A plan

James looked into Ryan's dark eyes, a million thoughts were going through his head until a sharp pain stabbed through his side. He groaned in pain trying not to alarm Ryan. "Wait, what's wrong are you ok?!" James could hear the clear panic within Ryans voice. James gently lifted up his shirt. His whole left side was as purple as an aubergine and looked incredibly painful.

Ryan slowly put his hand over and touched the bruise gently, trying to find where it was broken. James winced but tried to hide it, he hated showing weakness he felt like he was failing someone although he didn't know who at this point. "Hold on" Ryan said softly quickly leaving the cell. James stayed on the cold floor - not that he could have moved anyway - waiting for Ryan to come back. Minutes started to feel like hours while he waited in anticipation.

Finally Ryan returned, in his hands he carried a medical kit, it looked new and unused the kind of medical equipment you would have found before the war. James tried to ask where he got it but his words were slurred from the pain that he was experiencing. Ryan reassured him every few seconds while slowly bandaging James up. James felt guilty, people could have been shot and need this med kit but it was being wasted on him. "S-stop" James slowly pushed Ryan's hand away and attempted to stand up before abruptly falling down again.

Ryan looked at him with both guilt and sympathy in his eyes, "fuck it, come on" he outstretched his hand and helped James up, "everyone's out at lunch, I've got a place for you to stay."

They hurried along the corridor, James clutched his side and walked as fast as he possibly could. This was the first time he'd seen outside of the cell and it didn't seem much better. The walls were made of solid concrete and flickering lights clung to the ceiling creating a dim yellow glow which reflected in the small pools of water on the floor. The roof leaked and there was moisture on many of the walls where it had recently been raining. They went up the stairs, Ryan guiding James through the dim corridors, he appeared to know this place well, very well.

Ryan motioned for him to go through a set of doors, they were large and made of metal like the one in James cell however they also had a slot for a plank of wood or metal to go through to barricade the doors. As the doors opened the cold of the winter air cascaded down onto James like a tidal wave. A shiver went down his spine as they continued to walk along the deserted courtyard heading directly towards some makeshift cabins. The courtyard had a little grass on it that was yellowy brown and clearly clinging on to life. Dark clouds loomed in the distance which James could see past the chain linked fence with a roll of barbed wire on the top. He wouldn't be able to climb over that.

A bell rung, Ryan panicked and dragged James into one of the cabins. They just managed to get in before a hoard of raiders poured out of the main courtyard doors. Ryan locked the door and breathed a heavy sigh of relief as he sunk against is. Meanwhile James stumbled over and slumped onto the bed. "I hate you" he mumbled, with a slight chuckle.
"Love you too" Ryan replied with a mischievous smile then went over to sit next to him.

"It won't be long until they find out you're gone and start to search the houses," Ryan looked at James with a twinkle of determination in his eyes, "we have to make a plan."