Chapter 8

But now I'm stuck at the gate
Of Lucifers estate...
***

I land face first onto Sebastians couch and groan. Probably not a smart move on my part since my face still feels like it was run over by a truck. I hear Sebastian laugh slightly at me as I turn to face him. I glare at him and he stops laughing but his stupid smile remains.

"What's wrong Liv?" He asks sincerely.

I shake my head, trying to ignore his question. I don't want to tell him what's wrong with me. I don't want to tell him that Jameson has taken a spot in my mind and no matter what I do to forget him, it doesn't work. I think about the note he put in my bag that has his phone number on it and smile slightly to myself. What the fuck is wrong with me?! I just met this man. This beautiful man...

Fuck! Stop Olivia.

I glance to Sebastian who is staring at me questioningly.

"I need to fight. When's the next match?" I ask trying to change the topic.

He runs a hand through his blonde hair before pulling his phone out. "Looks like in two days. Prize is 5."

I nod my head, indicating that I want in. He goes back to his phone and sends a text to his contact and then to his bookie I can only assume.

"Okay, you're all set for the fight. Not sure who your challenger will be but I have faith in you," he smiles after putting his phone away.

The sound of his front door unlocking catches his attention. The flash of brown hair catches my eye and I run to the door, engulfing his fiancé Tiffany in my arms.

"Olivia! It's so good to see you. It's been awhile," she leans back smiling at me.

"I know, it's been way too long," I smile back, releasing her.

Sebastian and Tiffany were my surrogate family. She never hesitated to welcome me with open arms when Sebastian introduced us a few years ago. She was never threatened by mine and Sebastians relationship and for that I was grateful because without him, I'm not sure where I'd be honestly. I'd probably have been dead long ago at the hands of Ivan if Sebastian hadn't taught me how to fight.

"How're Amelia and Donovan?" She asks, leading me back to the couch and sitting down with me.

I smile at her, "they're great. They're both at a friends house for the night."

"Amelia met a boy," Sebastian interrupts, smiling and sitting across from us.

Tiffany looks to me with wide eyes, "oh my goodness! She's not old enough for boys."

I smile at her, "I feel the same way."

After sitting and visiting with Tiffany for awhile, I excuse myself and let them know I'm going to go for a run and that I will try not to wake them when I get back.

I slip on my sneakers and hit the pavement, pushing my body as fast and as hard as I can. My lungs hurt from breathing heavily as I round a corner that leads to the park. Slowing down, I head towards the swings that face out to the now frozen lake. Plopping down on one of the cold seats, I close my eyes and inhale the night air.

Opening my eyes, I stare out at the lake, marveling in the beauty that surrounds me. The wind sweeps the remaining dead leaves across the ground in front of me and the cold air nips at my cheeks and nose. I close my eyes again and take some calming breaths, enjoying the quiet until I hear laughing banter and footsteps behind me.

I turn and see a happy family walking through the park no doubt headed towards their home in the nicer part of town. The little girl in front giggling at something her older brother said as she leans in for him to whisper in her ear. The mother and father stare lovingly at their two children in front of them as they go to hold hands. My eyes are brought to a fifth person that is walking slightly behind the parents and it takes me a moment to recognize those blue eyes. I continue staring only for a moment more before turning back to face the lake, unsure if he saw me or not. I move my legs, making the swing go back and forth, sighing sadly as I stare into the abyss in front of me.

I wipe a few stray tears away from my eye and wrap my arms around my torso just as I hear footsteps approaching from behind.

"Olivia?" I hear Jameson ask, "what're you doing out here in the cold?"

I wipe my eye quickly again before turning to face him, "I went for a run and needed a break," I say to him with a small smile.

He's watching me carefully, concern etched across his features.

"Would you like to go for a walk..with me?" He asked hopeful.

I nod slightly and get up, stuffing my hands into my sweatshirt pocket and heading back the way I came.

As we walked down the sidewalk, I couldn't help but steal glances at Jameson. His small smirk told me that he knew.

He cleared his throat slightly making me jump slightly and look away, my cheeks tinged pink.

"So...,where are you from?" I asked, looking back towards hun slightly.

"We just moved here from Chicago. My dads business opened a new location here and he's making sure that it doesn't flounder within its first year," he stated matter of factly.

I nodded my head in understanding as we rounded a corner, now back on Sebastians street. I glanced at my phone quickly hoping it wasn't too late so I didn't wake Tiff and Seb up when Jameson pulled me from my thoughts.

"So, Olivia, can I ask you a question?" He glanced at me before glancing forward.

"You just did," I laughed at him.

He rolled his eyes at me before continuing, "another question." He sighed, running a hand through his hair. I nodded, gesturing for him to continue.

"How did you get the bruises?"

I stopped walking, staring at him as the walls began to close up again. I hugged my torso and slowly started to breathe like I couldn't catch my breath.

"Olivia. Olivia, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked," he grabbed ahold of my face and whispered to me.

His blue eyes stared back into mine worriedly. He brushed his thumb over my cheek until I calmed down.

I breathed out a deep breath, "my dad and his associates." I didn't wait for him to respond as I bolted towards Sebastians house and ran into the house as quietly as possible.