Chapter 3

today I'm thinkin' about things that are deadly
the way I'm drinkin' you down like I wanna drown
like I wanna end me...

***

I sat in the office chair, staring out the window as Principal Heller continued his tirade about how ridiculous, childish, and immature I was. I rolled my eyes as he continued his rant about me breaking that poor girls nose and that I'm just a disgrace like my mother.

With that last sentence muttered, I snapped my face back to the front to stare at him. I narrowed my eyes at him, popping my knuckles and gritting my teeth together. I wanted to fucking punch this man in the face. He sighed as he watched me closely, sitting down in his seat before rubbing his face with his hand.

"Look, Miss Castanello. I can't turn a blind eye anymore as you ruthlessly harm other students. I have to take action this time. I know you've had a hard time since your mother left, but it's been almost a year now and it's time to move on and grow up. You're 18 now so legally you can be tried as an adult if I were to involve the authorities in this situation," he deadpans.

I instantly sit up straight, fear coursing through my blood stream. If the cops got involved two things were bound to happen. One, I'd go to jail for assault and two, my brother and sister would be left alone with our father. Neither of these things could happen.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, but loud enough for him to hear.

Sighing, he shook his head, "I'm sorry Olivia. You're suspended for the week. When you return, I expect an apology letter written up for Miss Port. Are we clear?"

I nod my head yes as I stand to remove myself from the office. I glance at my surroundings as I walk through the halls. I've never felt welcome here, accepted, nothing. I've always felt like an outcast and I'm only happy that the same thing hasn't befallen my younger siblings. I'm glad that they are liked, even though our social status is nothing to be proud of. I'm glad that they have friends and don't have to be concerned with earning enough money to pay the bills or put food in the house or dealing with dads business associates.

My sadness grew into irritation as my irritation grew into anger and my anger grew into full on rage as I walked out of the building. I needed to hit something and bad. As I stepped off the last step, I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. I was met with those same damn eyes and smirk that I ran into this morning, the same ones that were there as I punched that bitch. I let out a frustrated sigh as I turned back towards my destination. Turning the corner, I headed toward the only place in town I actually felt accepted.

The bell dinged as I opened up the door to the gym, the smell of sweat and the iron smell of blood mixed with rust ensnared my nostrils. I loved it here. As the door shut behind me, the noise brought the attention to me as Sebastian turned from the person he was assisting to stare at the disturbance. As his eyes landed on me a small smile stretched across his face. It quickly turned into a frown of concern though when he glanced at my bruised face and injured knuckles.

"Liv, what happened?" He asked as he approached me, concern etched on his face.

I shrugged, "it's nothing."

He nodded but I could tell he wanted to push the subject but knew that it would be futile to test me right now. Plopping my duffel bag down on the bench, I stripped down and slid on my shorts. Grabbing a hair tie from my bag, I began to braid my hair and tightened it at the end. Sebastian sat down next to me and assisted with wrapping my injured knuckles, a look of frustration on his face now.

I sighed as he finished with my wraps and stood up. He was watching me intently for a moment before the sound of the door alerted him to another customer coming in. As he walked off, I let out a deep breath and went to my usual bag. The frustrated grunts of the other members as they pounded against the bags near me entered my ears. It was like a beautiful, white noise to me. The sounds of chains, grunts, fists on canvas, all of it, relaxed my inner demons.

I cracked my neck side to side as I felt my rhythm out. Loosening my muscles by shaking my limbs, I got into my stance and started my assault. It was slow at first, the feeling of the canvas bag as I landed punch after punch against it, making my mind relive the events of last night and this morning. I thought about how Principal Heller compared me to my mother as I increased my speed, sweat now trailing down my forehead and dripping down my body. I breathed in and out roughly as the pain of having to go through the life I have gone through coursed through my veins. My injured knuckles started to bleed through the wraps but I didn't care. Blow after blow landed as I frustratingly imagined the face of Stephanie. The tears had started to come slowly but steadily as I started to slow my pace. I landed one last punch and as the bag came back towards me, I collapsed against it, silently crying, while also hoping that none of the other patrons noticed.

As I steadied myself, I let out a breath and turned to head towards the bench but was stopped in my tracks by Sebastian as he was standing next to the blue eyed stranger from today. Mother fucker