twenty five.

Avery's POV

At this point I was filled with rage. I mean, the average person would be mad when they missed their last chance of telling someone you love them. And then, to make matters worse, the watch beeped signaling midnight. There was a pounding at the door, and each beat hit harder than the last.

But then it happened. One hit blew a hinge clean off the door, and I watched Harry tremor in fear. I tried to fake a smile, but it quickly faded when the realization of what was going to happen to hit me.

We waited anxiously as for what was going to happen, too nervous to pull a weapon out. It could've been Jonah and we could've been defenseless. I prayed that it wasn't, but still I couldn't find the will to move.

The last one blew off, and the door collapsed to the floor. My heart pounded in my chest, but still I couldn't do anything.

I felt beyond ridiculous when I saw what was at the door-- or the doorway, to be exact.

A fucking giraffe.

Harry, who was crouching down next to me, let out a breath he probably didn't notice he was holding. All I could do was scoff in amazement.

"Are they letting out a zoo?" he jeered, but the thought made so much sense that it was crazy. The gears turning, the growls and roars of unknown animals. Of course they let out a zoo. It only made sense.

And where there were giraffes, there were....

"Lion!" Harry hollered, and my senses heightened. I peered into the hallway, and I let out a sharp breath when I saw a lion strolling outside the door.

"Get your weapon, Harry." I whispered, afraid it would notice us and lunge at us within a moments notice. It was weird enough we had a baby giraffe basically walking into the room now, but a lion was something more urgent.

"Av--"

"Get it!" I hissed. If I was scared before I must've been terrified now, because it obviously noticed us and changed its direction within the blink of an eye. The only positive factor was that it was still going slow, and not pouncing.

I observed Harry closely, and watched him pull a throwing knife out of one of his belt loops. He had to be running out by now. He had to. And that wasn't a good thing, for either of us.

He whipped it out and aimed perfectly for the lion's chest, making a direct hit. He let out a few words to celebrate, or I assumed to celebrate, and stood up as the lion fell on its side.

"If you didn't listen, we would have died." I said out of anger and fear. Harry just laughed and pulled me to my feet. I had so many feelings toward him at the moment-- anger, gratitude, love. It was tearing me apart.

"Good thing I listened, then." he said, and picked a gun up off the nightstand. It was a .44, one I could easily tell by sights. I picked up the one next to where it used to lay, a rifle.

"You ready?" Harry asked me, his glimmering green eyes staring into mine. He looked afraid but confident at the same time, and I wondered, still, how he could manage to show such a mix of emotions on his beautiful features.

"Ready as I'll ever be." I lied. I could never be ready for what was to come.

Harry nodded and I followed him half way across the room, until we came to a complete halt and stared at the wild animal that was blocking our path.

"There's only one way out." Harry snickered, and I could feel heat rising to my cheeks. Of course we would have to get out this way.

"We don't have to leave." I hesitated. It was because of a few reasons: the fact that I didn't want to crawl underneath a giraffe and the fact that I was completely petrified at the thought of Jonah.

"We kind of do." Harry shrugged. "If we want to get this over with, and we want to kill Jonah while we have the advantage."

"What advantage to we have?" I wondered aloud. Harry just laughed and shook his head.

"Just crawl underneath the damn giraffe."

"Aye, aye, captain." I joked, to add a touch of humor to the situation. It didn't work as well as Harrys attempts did. He was just naturally comical. I liked that about him.

Harry slid between the giraffes legs, and I watched as he crawled underneath. He waved at me from the other side, but I saw him glancing side to side in search of any enemies. It was a smart move of him.

"Come on." I heard his soft voice say, so I nodded and held my breath. Whatever I would be near, I definitely did not want to smell it. With my hand pinching my nose, I squeezed underneath the giraffe and met Harry at the other side.

He was proud to say the least.

"Didn't think you would do it." he smiled. The way he was being so optimistic was starting to bother me, and I felt like there was something hidden in his sleeve. I didn't tell him that.

"Let's just find Jonah." I said in a hushed whisper, but my voice echoed off the wall and made it sound louder than it actually was.

Harry opened his mouth to speak, but he stopped. And I knew why.

Every cell in my body was awakened with stress and worry and fear and dread and every terrible feeling possible. My heart dropped down into my stomach and I had to gasp to get a decent amount of breath. I felt like I was having a panic attack.

This couldn't have been happening to us.

"Why search for something you've already found?"

And then... gunshot.

• • • •

who do you think got shot??? sorry for the cliffhanger! (:

it's Harrys birthday today omfg !!! he's turning 21 and its like I remember when the oldest in the band was 21 and now the youngest is!!! wtf!

my birthday is tomorrow! #blessed (:

have a great week you guys! :)