thirty two.

Avery's POV

It was the Fourth of July. We had spent the first half of the day doing unbearable amounts of chores, and the second half was spent outside with distant family members by the fire.

Usually, for the previous years, I had enjoyed this family tradition. But this time, my heart just wasn't in it. I was nervous for the flight I was going to have to board the next morning. Everyone already knew about it, and it didn't take much for them to agree to letting me leave.

"Avery, aren't you going to play your guitar?" my best friend, Vienna asked me. She had always spent almost every family vacation with us, and it was weird to say I had almost forgotten about her completely.

I shook my head with a sly smile, as memories of playing that old instrument by the fire filled my mind. "No thanks. I'm just not feeling it tonight."

"Come on!" she nudged my arm. "You don't seem to be feeling anything tonight."

"Just feeling nervous for the flight, that's all." I shrugged her concern off like it was a bug on my shoulder, when actually it was more than that to me.

"You'll be fine, Avery. I'm coming with you, so all should be well."

I nodded, even though I didn't believe her one bit. I had always had a terrible fear of flying, but I was going to have to face it. This is just one example of how badly I wanted Harry back in my life.

"Okay, don't play. That's fine." she patted me on the back and gave me a comforting hug, her black hair tickling my neck for just a few seconds.

Dad took my guitar and strummed a few notes, but it wasn't even close to a song. We all knew that I was the only one in our family with even a hint of talent in them. Not to be rude, but it was completely true.

Finally, we finished all the marshmallows and hot dogs, and the fireworks had come to a halt. It was too quiet without Spencer to provoke me and make me yell something mean at him. Usually, after that happened we would get in a fight and one of us would be really close to catching on fire. I missed him.

"It's quiet." Vienna commented, and once her voice dissipated into the air, the only sound that could be heard was the crackling of the fire. I checked my phone, and it was one in the morning. My flight was at five, and check in was at three thirty.

"I think I'm going to go in and take a nap." I said.

Vienna shot me an upset look.

"What, it's not even the fourth anymore!" I explained, already frustrated that she disapproved of me getting a nap before our double flight. It made me mad, like they expected me to show my face in public with bags under my eyes and a mess of a head of hair. No way.

"Night." I grumbled before grabbing my phone and storming out of the backyard. I flung the screen door open and rushed indoors, heading straight for my room.

Mood swings had gotten the best of me, because I was going through such a mix of emotions. I was excited to get a chance to see Harry again. I felt angry towards Vienna for being so inconsiderate. I felt too tired to even analyze the rest of my emotions.

I threw myself onto the bed, and the first thing I came in contact with was the pillow. Underneath it was the journal, and I gave it a quick kiss before closing my eyes and trying to get at least an ounce of sleep.

*

When I woke up, I checked the time to see that it was only two. What good had an hour of sleep done me?

I got up and took the journal with me to the bathroom. Weird, I know. But I had barely waken up yet, and I couldn't quite process what I was doing.

Afterwards, I got myself a glass of water and ventured into the living room. Vienna was crashed on the couch, snoring with her phone about to fall out of her dangling hand.

I walked over and placed her phone on the couch plush next to her, and turned the lights off. At least one of us was getting good sleep before the flight. At least I would be asleep through the whole thing.

I walked to my room, already bored with the thought of having to stay up another hour and doing nothing. I changed into leggings, a black cami, and a glittery gold cardigan with combat boots. I wanted to look presentable when Harry saw me-- if he did.

After doing my hair and makeup, I sat at my desk with the journal. There were no unread pages at this point, as I had spent night and day reading the stupid thing. There were more empty pages than filled ones.

That gave me an idea.

• • • •

weird place to cut off a chapter im so sorry

but I have heaps of hw and idk what to wear tomorrow stiLL im not moving an inch how bout that!