thirty three.

Avery's POV

"Wake up, sleepy head!"

I felt Vienna nudge me, the worst way I could have imagined to wake up. Still, I lifted my head and turned around to see her green eyes staring at me.

"How long have I been asleep?" I asked, still in a daze. Too tired to realize I could have easily checked my phone, I looked to Vienna for those kinds of answers instead. She looked at her golden watch and smiled at me.

"It's three." she told me, which instantly made me bolt up and have a burst of energy. We had limited time to get our priorities set and make sure everything was set to go. "Your parents are up."

"Alright, okay." I whispered to myself. To my disgust, one of the pages of Harry's journal had a small puddle of drool. I grimaced and tried to wipe it away, which only smeared it and made it worse, in all honesty. Vienna just watched with a look of sheer amusement on her face.

"Give me five minutes to get my things, yeah?"

"Yeah." she mocked playfully, and strutted out of my room with a light giggle. I rolled my eyes and smiled. Vienna had been there, even if only for a day, to comfort me through hard times. Hell, she was even coming on a trip with me to California. It made me feel bad that I had forgotten about her.

I took the journal and put it in my carry-on bag. A whole leap of random items, including my charger and earphones, went in there as well. When I was done, I brought my carry-on and my main suitcase into the living room where everyone was waiting.

"You excited, Avery?" Mom asked me. Since we didn't have time to set anything down, I just kept my things near and shook my head.

"I'm excited for the opportunity to see Harry, just not excited for the flight. If we crash, I'll never see him."

"Don't think negative." Dad told me. It was weird how parents thought that saying something like that was changing my mind. Like the snap of a finger could change my mindset.

"Right." I faked a smile and rolled my suitcase to the front door. "I'll see you guys soon."

"How long are you staying up there?" Carmen asked me. I smiled at her, proud of how much closer we had become since I got back. Before we wore so distant and now we were best friends.

"A week." I told her. "If Harry is there, maybe longer."

The thought of seeing Harry and spending extra alone time with him made me beyond ecstatic. It would be worth the dreadful plane ride, no doubt about that.

"Okay." Mom said. None of them stood up to hug me or Vienna, who was right on my trail. "See you two in a week. Have fun."

"Thanks." Vienna mumbled and faked a smile for the sake of my family's wellbeing.

"Don't die." Carmen joked.

"I'll try not to."

Vienna and I walked out the front door, and as I breathed in the fresh air I realized that this was what I had been missing. Harry's "death" had hit me so hard that I had forgotten what nature felt like. The sun had barely even started to rise, but still I could see a light coming from the horizon. The air was chilly, but not exactly cold. I liked it.

"Ready?" Vienna asked me as we loaded our things into the trunk of her car. It was a 2014 Sonata.

"Ready as I'll ever be."

"Let's meet Harry." she said, with mock enthusiasm. I smiled to myself, images of his perfect smile etched clearly into my brain. My eyes were on the road as Vienna pulled out of the driveway and down the street, but my mind was definitely on the boy that had stolen my heart.

• • • •

im a thief im a thief
( you can call me a thief )
but you should know your part
( im a thief im a thief )
i'm only here
bc you stole my heart

:)