thirty one.

Avery's POV

It didn't take me long to realize, after reading most of Harry's diary entries, that I had little over two weeks to figure out this enigma. I was given a set of coordinates, and after searching them up I saw they were coordinates for Los Angeles, specifically. He wanted to be there. How could that be a coincidence, since Murder House took place in that same exact city.

"I'm buying plane tickets." I told Carmen. We sat on her bed together, in her room which was much more comfortable than mine was. It had a cool shade of purple for the walls, and beanbags here and there.

"To where?" she asked. It wasn't surprising to see that she actually cared about what I had to say. A loss had stricken us, and disaster leaves everyone as equals.

"Los Angeles." I answered slowly, letting her take in every syllable to the core to earn her full understanding. "Harry wants me to be there."

"I thought he was dead." she gasped, and I covered her mouth with my hand. My eyes widened, afraid that my parents would hear me still talking about Harry even though Spencer was gone.

"He might not be." I grinned. "He left behind hints. Clues, leading up to this local cafe in downtown LA."

I flipped my new laptop open, and showed her all the evidence I had gathered up. The coordinates, the dates and the small pieces of clues from the backpack. She gave me all due respect, and it made me feel better about this whole thing.

"He's definitely there."

I giggled in excitement. If Carmen said it, then it had to be close to true at least. She had taken law school for a few years before dropping out, due to stress. Still, in those years she had learned quite a lot about forensics and whatnot. I trusted her word.

"I hope so, Carmen." I gave her my most enthusiastic smile and pulled it out of my hoodie pocket. Carmen took it in her hands and almost dropped it when she realized what she was holding.

"He signed it." she whispered, pure shock in her voice. "Harry signed the knife. For me."

"Yeah." I meekly smiled. Thinking about him really and truly hurt me deep down. The thought of him being dead killed me. I still managed to smile for my sister's sake. "I kept bothering about it and he finally did it."

"I didn't watch the show." she said, her eyes still glued to the reflecting blade. She almost looked hypnotized, like she was in a trace. "I was scared to see something bad happen to you."

"I figured." I smiled and gave her a big bear hug. Thankfully she accepted my embrace, and we stayed like this for quite some time. When we pulled away, Carmen patted me on the back and closed my laptop for me.

"Solid evidence you got there."

"Thanks." I laughed. "Murder House taught me a thing or two."

She shook her head. "No, Harry did."

That was the last thing she told me before nicely making me exit her room. When I got back to my own, I started to tick off the days on my calendar. I was counting down how much longer until Harry's funeral.

The funeral was the 6th of July.

The date on the bandana and in the journal was the 5th.

It all made perfect sense, and the clues were starting to fit together like a giant jigsaw puzzle. It made everything clear now, and I realized that maybe there was one less person that I actually needed to grieve about. Sure, Spencer was dead and that was confirmed. We had seen his lifeless body on the hospital bed once more before his body was zipped up and enclosed from us forever. Yes, that made me break down.

But Harry was a different story. He could still be out there. I had never passed the wall with pictures of the dead. I had never gotten a true confirmation that Harry was dead. Hell, Jonah could even be alive still. Max probably made him play dead so I wouldn't really kill him, and let him slip away in the shadows while leaving Harry to die. Such cruel people, only looking out for themselves. They had caused me so much misery and pain, and the same goes to Harry without need of saying.

I curled up in bed with Harry's journal under my pillow, and with thoughts of seeing Harry again I drifted off into a peaceful sleep.

• • • •

such a short chapter im sorry