Chapter One

A/N I've never written any kissing scenes (I'm 12), so I'm sorry if these 'romantic scenes' aren't written very well. This is after Kuvira. Sorry for the little/no Asami.

Ages: Kai - 15, Jinora - 14, Bolin - 20, Opal - 19, Mako - 22, Korra - 21

Kai and Jinora were enjoying a nice picnic in the grass together enjoying the silence. It was the one time where Kai was able to sit still. But even then, he was playing with Jinora's hair unconsciously. 

The two were fully engulfed in silence when Ikki ran up to them. "Kai! Daddy asked for you! Also, what are you doing?"

Kai and Jinora both blushed. Kai stood up before any words were exchanged. "Where's Tenzin?" he asked, opting to not answer the question.

"In his study," Ikki answered, before hopping away, losing interest in the conversation. Kai and Jinora exchanged a look. 

Kai sighed. "So much for peace."

Jinora giggled. "That's not something I would expect from your mouth."

Kai rolled his eyes. "Well, anyway, I guess I have to go see Tenzin."

Jinora turned serious. "I hope he doesn't kill you..."

"I'll try not to make that happen."

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kai knocked on the door of Tenzin's office softly before stepping in. He closed the door behind him.

Tenzin looked up. "Ah, Kai. Here you are. Sorry this is such a short notice, but you're going on a mission with Opal and Mako. We've discovered a band of Equalists in that area. We need you to help. This will also contribute to you earning your tattoos."

"But-" Kai started.

Tenzin cut him off. "We need you there. You are going, and that's final."

Tenzin's imposing stare made Kai back down. He was reluctant on leaving Jinora, even if it meant holding off on his tattoos, but seeing as he had no other choice, he didn't object.

"Yes, sir."

"Good. You leave for the Western Air Temple tomorrow morning. We suspect the Equalists are near there. Do you have any questions?"

"Um... why is Mako going?"

Tenzin gave Kai a sidelong glance. "Will it be a problem?"

"Er... no. But he isn't an airbender..."

"I'm well aware of that. But he actually volunteered to go. He said he nothing better to do."

"Other than spending time with Korra," Kai mumbled under his breath.

Tenzin heard it. "I heard they were going through a rift. Haven't spoken in days."

Kai was taken aback. Ever since Mako and Korra had gotten back together, he thought they were going strong. But he was wrong.

"Is that all?" Tenzin asked. 

Kai nodded quickly before bowing, taking it that Tenzin wanted him to leave. Kai left the room swiftly and shut the door behind him.

As soon as Kai exited Tenzin's study, he saw Jinora waiting. She perked up at the sight of him. 

"So? How did it go?" she asked.

"Pretty bad," Kai admitted. 

Jinora looked at him in concern. "What happened?"

"Well, I... um..." Kai trailed off, scratching his neck. "I'm being sent on a mission. And... you're not going," he finished.

"Are you kidding me?" Jinora asked, enraged.

"Woah, woah. Calm down, lady. It's just a small band of Equalists. I'll be back soon, I promise," Kai said, kissing her forehead. A/N It was uncomfortable writing that. Very uncomfortable.

Jinora looked down, feeling calmer. "I just hate that we get seperated all the time, you know?"

"Yeah, I know. But we'll be back soon, I promise. When have I broken a promise?"

Jinora laughed softly. "Okay, okay. I'll trust that you don't break this promise."

"Okay then. Can we enjoy ourselves now?"

Jinora laughed again. "Yes. Yes, we can."

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning came sooner than expected. Before Kai knew it, he was about to board Lefty, who would be their source of transportation that mission.

Jinora buried her head in Kai's chest, wrapping her arms around him.

"I'm going to miss you," she said, although it was slightly muffled.

"I'm going to miss you too," Kai replied. "It won't be long."

A few kisses and hugs later, Opal, Kai, and Mako were off.

A/N The end of the chapter was slightly rushed, sorry about that. No Korra this chapter, but a small mention of Mako and Korra's rift. I know there wasn't much of anything other than Kai, Tenzin, and Jinora, but more is to come. Remember though, this story is centered around Kainora.