Chapter Six

Kai was rushing over to help Mako and Opal while still in spirit form when he saw Mako lightning bend the Equalists. They all promptly fell unconscious.

Mako and Opal looked up to find Kai in spirit form. 

"Woah..." Opal said in awe.

"Wow," Mako breathed.

"What?" Kai asked, before looking at himself.

He blushed when he realized he was still in spirit form, unsure how to handle the attention he was getting.

"Oh yeah..." he said. "I learned how to project my spirit!"

Mako raised an eyebrow. "And you thought projecting your spirit was more important than the mission?"

"Er... yeah?" Kai scratched his back.

Opal smacked her forehead. 

"Uh... oops?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mako and Opal let Kai leave for the interrogation. He was still in spirit form, so he went back to Kenzo and the place with the large rocks to return to his body.

Kenzo greeted him with a smile.

"You want to return to your body, I suppose?" he asked.

"Yeah."

"Very well," Kenzo said, acting as if nothing had interrupted their lesson. "Breathe in and out slowly. Concentrate on your body. Concentrate on the physical world and imagine your surroundings."

Kai did as told. He could feel himself losing the connection. Then, finally, he returned to his body. He opened his eyes.

"Wow!" he exclaimed. His mood dimmed a little. "How much longer until I can project my spirit?"

"Hmm," Kenzo thought aloud. "I think I can teach you now. I have my duties, but seeing as you are a quick learner, I think now is a great time."

Kai jumped up excitedly. "Yes!"

Upon a look from Kenzo, Kai quickly returned to his meditating position. He concentrated on releasing his spirit and grabbing it with his mind. This time, he could see a faint outline of both Korra and Jinora. 

"How come I see Korra too, this time?" he asked, keeping his eyes closed.

"I am not sure. But the Avatar has a strong spiritual connection. I would assume that you have a connection with her too, somehow."

Kai nodded, about to go into his spirit form when Kenzo interrupted.

"Don't go into your spirit state yet!"

Kai opened his eyes. "Why?"

"There's another step when projecting your spirit long-distance. Before you reach out to grab your spirit, you must imagine your friend standing across from you. When you do, reach out and grab your spirit."

Kai nodded, anxious to see Jinora.

He concentrated, imagining his spirit in front of him. He imagined Jinora across from him, and he smiled softly seeing her. Then, he grabbed his spirit.

Slowly, Kai opened his eyes, unsure of what to expect.

When he did, he smiled bright and wide. There, in front of him, was Jinora, who was, of course, heavily indulged in a book.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jinora found herself feeling unusually empty after Kai left. Her schedules seemed more monotonous and she eventually lost track of time.

One day, she found herself sitting underneath the tree she always liked to read under. She, along with Kai, had so many fond memories there. She missed his funny personality. She missed his smile, his bright green eyes.

Jinora sighed, knowing it would take a while until she saw Kai again. She pulled open a book she had tucked under her arm, and started reading.

But in the middle of it, she felt a presence. She whipped her head around, looking behind her. Then she heard a familiar voice coming from in front of her. She whipped her head back around.

"Missed me?" Kai asked through his spiritual projection.

Jinora had her hand over her mouth in awe. Kai had never meditated before, and had definitely never projected his spirit before.

But more than anything, she was shocked and so happy to see him. Her eyes glittering with tears.

"Of course I did," she whispered, still in shock.

"Of course I did," she repeated softly to a gentle smiling Kai.