Chapter Three

After and all throughout dinner, Kai was very tense. He kept thinking back to what was at hand. But it was really hard to. The only thing on his mind was Jinora. 

Kenzo had said they didn't even know how big the threat was. What if it would take longer than he had thought? What if he broke his promise? What if Jinora moved on in that time?

Kai was very worried.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jinora was worried too. What if Kai moved on from her? And if he didn't, how long would it take for him to get back?

Jinora sighed, deciding to take her mind off of it by reading a book.

But even as she was deep into the book, her mind just kept wandering to Kai.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kenzo was a very observant man. He had observed the visitors all throughout dinner. His eyes kept falling back to the young one. Kai. He seemed troubled, as if he had an important decision on the line. 

Kenzo decided to talk to him after dinner.

Everyone had dispersed to who knows where, but Kai stayed at the dinner table, staring straight ahead. 

Kenzo stayed too. 

He coughed lightly, getting Kai's attention.

"Are you alright, young man?" Kenzo asked.

"Yeah... I'm fine," Kai replied monotonously.

Kenzo raised an eyebrow at him, but didn't say anything. More than anything, Kenzo had experience. He knew how to get people to talk. But he always let it be if one decided not to talk.

In this instance, the silence made Kai uncomfortable. So he started telling Kenzo what was on his mind.

"It's-It's just... there's this girl," Kai said.

Kenzo smiled amusingly, but again, didn't speak.

"She's my-my girlfriend..." Kai continued shakily. Why am I stuttering? he thought to himself.

Kenzo nodded.

"And-ugh. I just-this is going to sound stupid, but I'mafraidshe'sgoingtofindsomeoneelse," he said quickly. 

"Repeat that?" Kenzo asked.

Kai felt calmer somehow. "I'm-I'm afraid she's going to f-find someone else," he repeated, stuttering slightly. "I know, I know. It's dumb and I've only been gone for one day, but-"

"It's not dumb," Kenzo told him. "Ah. Young love is all it is."

"I don't understand," Kai said.

"You will. Let me ask you this: Have you thought of any other girl in the world to be your girlfriend other than this girl?"

"No!" Kai exclaimed, defensive.

"Mm. There's your answer then. If you truly love her, that's the best you can do. You can't force her to not find someone else, can you?"

Kai sighed. "No. But that's what I'm afraid of. I'm afraid of losing her."

"There's nothing in the world that you can't lose. But I'll give you some advice. If you really don't want to lose her, make her feel loved. I would say 'give her flowers', but obviously that's not how long-distance relationships work."

"My girlfriend-her name is Jinora by the way- told me we had a connection and said that Korra said so too. I wish-I wish I could project my spirit like Jinora. Then-then we could talk. She can't do it because she doesn't know when I'm fighting bad guys or not. I just wish-" Kai sighed. Sometimes he got jealous of Jinora's abilities.

"First of all... Korra? As in-Avatar Korra?" Kenzo asked.

"Yeah," Kai said.

"You are lucky, indeed, Kai," Kenzo told him.

"Yeah, I guess. But I just wish I had spirit powers too."

"Hmm. You might. Connections can not run one way. Connections only exist if two sides are equal or compatible. I honestly doubt she can project her spirit to you if you don't have a little bit of those 'spirit powers' too."

"Really?" Kai asked. He was trying to contain his excitement, but failed. 

"Would you like to meditate with me?" Kenzo asked. "I may be able to help you."

"Slight problem with that. I have ADHD... I've literally never meditated in my life."

Kenzo was taken aback by that. "But... Tenzin told me you were close to earning your tattoos."

"Yes... about that. I've mastered all the techniques... but I just can't get the 'spirity' side of it. Or the meditation."

"Oh. I can teach you then."

"Good luck with that... Tenzin has tried to teach me for years. Never works," Kai said, chuckling.

"Hmm. It's worth a shot though, if you really want to see if you have a connection with spirits."

"Oh, alright then."

The two put their dishes away. 

"Meet me were you entered the Air Temple in one hour?" Kenzo asked.

"Sure."

As Kai left for his dormitory, happier than he was when he had came, Kenzo smiled to himself. But now came the hard part. Kenzo had never worked with someone who couldn't meditate. He left for his study and shut the door, still pondering how he could help Kai. Then, he thought of something. Maybe he could use his girlfriend as motivation in some way...

A/N Yes, Kai might be unlocking spirit powers. I thought it would be a nice twist to the story. Anyway, I couldn't think of a good way to end this chapter, so I hope this is okay. Kenzo is an O/C, by the way. He will help in a few ways in the beginning of this story, but fear not. This story will still be centered around the characters that are in 'Legend of Korra'. I hope Kenzo's a likeable character so far. Happy New Year! I hope 2021 is better than 2020.