Chapter Thirty-Eight

‘You may pick.’

I looked down at the assortment of objects on the table, a jumble of bits and pieces. My eye observed them individually; a crystal vial, a blue studded ring, a silver charm bracelet (containing no charms), a pair of sunglasses, a cream coloured candle with intricate patterns carved into it.

‘Choose what your drawn to first, that’s probably the best way to pick.’

Then I saw something that instantly caught my attention. It was a necklace; a delicate silver chain with a single charm on the end. The charm was a sand timer, tinted green glass encasing the precious liquid inside. The object had a slight glow to it, as if the liquid within was letting off a radiating light.

‘That one.’

‘Then it’s yours,’ Henry smiled and let me pick up the necklace. I held it in a light grip as I studied the object with fascination.

‘What’s it for again?’ My eyes didn’t leave my new possession.

‘It’s for identification and for the silver gate that goes around this part of the school. Its so you can come in without going into that limbo mist place. Some students also use it for their powers; it can help control and aim them better. I can help you with that next year.’

My eye slit up. ‘You mean I can come and go through the school as I please?’

‘Well, there are regulations but you may go to the other part of the school by yourself,’ Henry nodded.

‘Thank you,’ I said, thinking of all the things he’d done for me. ‘Thank you so much,’ I clutched the necklace tightly and was about to leave when Henry stopped me.

‘Oh and one more thing. Your friend Sasha has offered her home to you over the break. Her parents have confirmed and we’ve also talked to your family. They held little interest but said it was your choice,’ he said.

‘Are you kidding?!’ I nearly fell in shock. ‘Those bastards! Like I would ever go back to them.’

A small smile upturned Henry’s lips. ‘I’ll tell Sasha’s parents that you’ll love to stay.’

With my own huge smile I left in a flurry of movement. A small cry of happiness escaped me as I torpedoed into the hall, to be halted by an excited Sasha. She gripped my shoulders ferociously and shook me back and forth.

‘Your coming right?!’ and without waiting for a reply she continued. ‘I knew you would!’

Whirling me around Sasha slung an arm over my shoulder, leading me down the hall with the necklace still held tightly in my fingers. ‘Come on, let’s go to the party.’

The mass funeral had occurred three weeks before but we’d decided to hold one privately for Grace, it was her birthday.

The horror of what the students now called Day-Ex was still with us but the pain had begun to ease.

Claire had changed completely since that day. At the very beginning she stayed in her room, her dorm group unable to coax her out except with the need to eat. When she finally did emerge she had dark patches under her eyes, her hair had grown thin and frail, and she’d lost a lot of weight. After noting the cuts on her upper thighs and arms her friends had urged her to go to the councillor. The councillor had done good, pulling Claire out of her shell and encouraging her forward.

As for the affect of Grace’s death Taylor had taken it the hardest. He’d reverted back to the ways of a child. Unreasoning, stubborn, emotional, crying all the time; Pip had taken as part of her duty to help him and act like his mother.