Chapter Thirty-One: The Great Game

Chapter thirty-one

As soon as I blinked I was sent through, I couldn’t help it.

When I finally opened my eyes I felt dizzy. High up above the ground I stood along a suspended bridge. It was a forest, a very old and dense forest, for the trees grew so high I could not see the top and they were so big you could fit a house inside.

Bridges of vine and wood was strung between the trees, creating a webbing of passages connecting everything. There were also ladders and stairs so you could go higher into the treetops or further towards the ground. Not only that but the trees had doors, openings that created rooms and more stairwells inside the hollowed out wood. A haze of fog drifted through the forest and made it hard to see into the distance.

I was alone for now and the forest was uneasily silent

Though there was no immediate danger I knew I had to find shelter or else I would be vulnerable. I may’ve not done much in the last game but I had listened and observed what my team did.

Walking quickly across the bridge I made it to the closest tree, a ledge encircling the trunk so I could walk around it. There I found an open door, leading into the heart of the trunk. The wood had been carved out but I could see no more then a few metres inside because of the dark.

Cautiously I stepped in, my eyes wide and watching for any signs of movement. The suspense was awful and I was about to call out when someone beat me to it.

‘Who’s there?’ The voice was tiny, quivering as the person spoke from within.

I relaxed a little, an Eximius student wouldn’t be scared like that, and they would’ve killed me by now anyway.

‘I’m from Vires Academy,’ I responded and hoped I sounded a little more confident.

‘You are?’ The voice said.

‘Yes,’ I whispered as I searched for the person.

‘I’m scared,’ the child appeared. She was young, younger then Grace. Small tufts of blond hair were pushed into two ponytails and she held onto a small teddy bear like it was her life support.

‘Don’t worry, I’ll look after you,’ I knelt down to her level as she came forward.

‘You will?’ She looked up at me with big brown eyes that were rimmed with tears.

‘Yeah, we’ll hide here until it’s over,’ I nodded.

‘No,’ she shook her head as her eyes grew wider. ‘We have to keep moving ‘cause they’re coming.’

‘But I’m sure we could stay hidden,’ I observed our place.

‘No,’ she repeated almost gruffly. ‘I want to keep moving.’

‘Okay, okay,’ I tried to calm her down cause she was obviously agitated about it. ‘Where should we go?’

She thought for a second before an idea came to her. ‘I know a place. I’ve been to this scene before. There’s a hideout down that way.’ She pointed into the distance.

I nodded. ‘Let’s go there then but I want to find my friends first.’ I knew that they’re all here somewhere but the trick was finding them before the Eximius students did.

The girl nodded. ‘My names Evangeline but you can call me Eve,’ she slipped her hand into mine as I peered outside to check the coast was clear. I was about to leave but Eve pulled back.

‘Wait, you just go ahead, I need to get my teddy,’ she said and began moving back into the darkness. I frowned, she had her bear just before but just looking now the teddy was not there.