Chapter 30: A Tale of Two Friends

Third Person POV 

Oliver walked into the main room of his nightclub, Verdant, to see Tommy holding a bottle in his hands. 

'Look who it is,' he said, chuckling. 'My best friend... in life.'

'Hey, buddy,' Oliver said, trying to lighten the mood, but it was apparent nothing could be done. 

'I took your advice, you know. I went to Laurel's, to fight for her. But imagine my surprise seeing you there, kissing her.' He slammed the bottle on the table, glaring at his best friend. 

'I'm sorry,' Oliver apologised. 

'No, you're not.'

'Something's happening, and it involves your father.' 

'Keep my father out of this.' 

'Our fathers. They aren't the men we thought they were. They made a plan together... to destroy the Glades.' He shook his head slowly. 

'Do you have any idea what you sound like right now?' Tommy asked, incredulous. 

'Your father's going to do it. Because he thinks it will avenge your mother's death.' 

'Do not talk about my mother!' he shouted, then went to punch him, but Oliver merely sidestepped out of the way, making Tommy fall. He got up slowly, wincing. Oliver turned and knelt in front of him. 

'The difference between us, Tommy, is that I didn't find out the truth about my father until it was too late. But you've always known, deep down, you have always known the man he is.' Tommy glared up at him. 

'I wish you would have died on that island.' Oliver nodded slowly, bit his lip and looked away, seeming to accept the judgement. Then he stood and walked away without another word. 

Time skip 

Oliver Queen's POV - at the mansion

I walked into the room, putting my jacket down. Mom was sorting clothes. Probably Dad's, I thought. She didn't notice me. 

'No more lies, Mom. The Undertaking.' She looked up. 'We need to stop it.' She got a shocked look on her face. 

'Everything I have ever said or done has been to protect you and your sisters.' 

'What about all those people in the Glades?'

'I'm not their mother.' 

'I spoke to Malcolm.'

'You what?! He could have killed you. He killed your father.' 

'No, he didn't. After the 'Gambit' went down, Dad and I both made it to the life raft. And then we drifted, for days. In the end, there wasn't enough food or water for both of us.' I sighed deeply. 'So he shot himself in the head.'

'I don't want to hear this...' she replied in a distracted tone, sorrow filling her features. 

'He sacrificed himself... so that I could live. Do you really think that I could go on living knowing that you sacrificed thousands more in my name? Mom. Please.' I put my hands on her arms in a comforting manner as she shook her head repeatedly, tears filling her eyes. 'You have to help me stop Malcolm. We need to know where the device is.' Just then her phone rang and she picked it up, holding it to her ear. She moved over to turn her back to me. 

'Malcolm?' I froze at hearing this and turned to see her. Her eyes were now turned to me. 'How can I help you?' There was silence. 'I see. Yes, thank you for calling.' She hung up and put the phone down.