Chapter 17: Plots Hatched; The Team Begins to Form

Third Person POV 

Moira Queen walked across the tarmac to the waiting limo. The door opened, and a man ushered her in to sit on the leathered seats. 

'You wanted to see me?' she asked softly. Next to her, Malcolm Merlyn gave a soft smile, but there was no warmth in it. 

'You look nervous, Moira,' he said smoothly. She hummed, fiddling with her sunglasses. 

'Do I have a reason to be?' 

'We all do.' He pulled out the two police sketches of the two vigilantes, distinctly male and female. 

'A modern-day Robin Hood and his Maid Marian,' Moira said simply. There was a small pause before she looked over to Malcolm. 'What, are you worried that your net worth makes you a target?'

'Jason Brodeur, Adam Hunt, Warren Patel. Tell me you see a connection, Moira.' 

'He's not targeting the rich.' 

'No, he's not. He's targeting the list.' 

At the Queen Mansion...

Oliver Queen's POV... 

I walked up to Diggle, who was staring out the window of our living room. I cleared my throat, getting his attention. He turned to me. 

'You here for the bodyguard position? Cause the new guy just quit.' 

'No, I'm not,' Diggle replied. 'I'm here about the other position.' I extended my hand to him. Diggle stepped forward. 'Just to be clear, I'm not signing on to be a sidekick. But you're right.' He paused in his steps, and I dropped my hand. 'Fighting for this city needs to be done, and you're gonna do this with or without me.'

'Yeah,' I mumbled under my breath. 

'But with me, there'll be fewer casulties, including you.' 

'Diggle, I'm not looking for anybody to save me. Neither is Evelyn.'

'Maybe not, but you and your sister need someone just the same.' He stepped closer to me. 'You and Evelyn are fighting a war, Queen, except you have no idea what war does to you, how it scrapes off little pieces of your soul.' He stepped even closer. 'And you and Evelyn need someone to remind you two of who you are, not this thing you're becoming.' He stretched out his hand, and I shook it firmly. Just then there was a shout. 

'Oliver and Evelyn Queen!' The door opened and several officers barged in the house. I heard Walter trying to stop them, but was rebuffed by the gruff voice of Detective Lance. 

'Hey, what the hell's going on?!' I demanded, storming out into the foyer. I heard Thea's panicked voice. 

'Oliver! What's happening?' Then Evelyn's scream. 

'What the hell are you doing?! Let go of me!' Evelyn shouted as she fought against the police officers dragging her into the foyer and locking handcuffs on her wrists. 'Oliver!' she cried out. Detective Lance came up to us, glaring at the two of us, at Evelyn and I. 

'Oliver and Evelyn Queen,' he spat, 'you're under arrest on suspicion of obstruction of justice, aggravated assault...' 

'Walter, stop them!' Thea said, her voice still very much panicked. 

'... Trespassing, acting as a vigilante...' 

'Are you out of your mind?!' Oliver shouted. 

'... And murder.' They grabbed Evelyn and I and shoved us out of the house, Detective Pike saying, 

'You have the right to remain silent!' as they hauled us out of the house to jail, still stating our rights as prisoners.