Chapter 16: Caught in the Act; A Seemingly Effective Conversation

At the police station (third person POV) 

'Okay, here's the security footage from the exchange building shooting, but I've already scrubbed through all of it,' the I.T. guy said to Detective Lance. 

'Yeah? Well, we're gonna do it again,' he retorted. The man sighed and began typing furiously on the computer keyboard. 'So, listen, when you went through the camera security tapes, you were looking for a guy in a green outfit and a green hood and a girl in a red outfit with a red hood, right?' 

'What do you want me to look for?' he snapped with a slow drawl. 'A man and a girl in wigs and tutus?'

'I want you to look for anything that's out of the ordinary, okay? Just look.' The man typed some keys, and the tapes fast-forwarded. 

'Hey, whoa, whoa, whoa. Go back ten seconds.' The man went back to see the two culprits going through a trash bin and pulling out bags. Just then, the two looked up at the camera. 

'I'll be damned. Play that again.' Right on the screen showed the indistinguishable faces of Oliver and Evelyn Queen. 

Oliver Queen's POV

At the warehouse/base of operations... 

The reporter was talking over the screen. I sat in the seat, and Evelyn stood behind me. 

'At least 5 federal, state and local agencies are seeking millions of dollars in fines and environmental cleanup costs from Brodeur Chemical, new facts have come to light that Brodeur Chemical employee Camille Declan had discovered Brodeur was illegally disposing waste and had collected a file of evidence against her employer before her murder in 2007. Peter Declan, who was convicted of killing his wife, has been released, and the case has been re-opened.' Opening the book, I crossed out the name of Jason Brodeur and putting it away, I picked up the worn photo of Evelyn that I'd had with me through the ordeal on the island. I felt Evelyn squeeze my shoulder. 

'We did it, brother.' She kissed my cheek. 

Flashback (on the island; third person POV)...

A younger Oliver Queen sat on a rock, nibbling the bird he had killed to eat. The old archer with the scraggly beard came to sit in front of him and said the same Mandarin Chinese word he'd heard repeated from the older man's mouth. 

'Shengcún (Survive).' 

'Yeah. Bird, I know,' the younger Oliver mumbled, still nibbling on the bird. The older man sighed almost inaudibly in exasperation. 

'Shengcún not mean bird. Shengcún mean survive.' 

'You speak English,' he said, slightly awed, meeting the dark orbs of the older man who spoke with a thick Asian accent. 

'You want survive this place, bird not last thing you kill.' He held up the worn photo of Evelyn Queen. 'And forget her. You look at that all day, you not survive this place.' 

(End of flashback)

Thought it'd make more emotional sense to the story if the photo was of Evelyn instead of Laurel. I'm not a big fan of Oliver and Laurel as a couple; I much prefer Olicity. Anyway, everyone to their own. I just like the thought of the photo being of his younger sister instead of the girlfriend he cheated on.