The Dark Place - Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

1

Tamicka crouched down by the lakeside and dipped her hand into the cool water. "Wow, this place is great."

"I know, and the best part is nobody comes here because it's out of bounds to anyone not connected to the Munford estate," said Penny as she slipped out of her shoes and socks.

Tamicka quickly pulled her hand out of the water as if she had been electrocuted. "Do you mean we could get into trouble for being out here?"

"I think we should be all right, after all, you're living up at the big house now and my mum is representing the estate. Anyway, do you swim Tamicka?" Penny asked as she unbuttoned her jeans, slid them down to her ankles and stepped out of them.

"Sure, but I didn't bring a costume," Tamicka said, shocked at the other girl's relaxed attitude to undressing in front of her.

"Neither have I. I'm just going to jump in like this."

"But won't your clothes get all wet."

"Well, I'm not going to jump in naked."

"But we don't even have a towel." Tamicka looked towards the bushes. "And anyway, what if someone's watching?"

"Then they'll see me swimming in my underwear won't they?" Without another word Penny dived into the lake and disappeared under the water. She surfaced seconds later with a deep breath. "Come on Tamicka, the water's lovely and cool."

Tamicka wiped the tiny beads of perspiration from her forehead with the back of her hand. "No, I'll be fine right here."

"Okay, but you're missing out big time." Penny turned and swam away from Tamicka.

Maybe a little dip wouldn't hurt. Tamicka slipped off her shoes, pulled up the hem of her dress so that it wouldn't get wet, then sat on the bank and submerged her feet in the cold water. As the chilled sensation climbed her legs and cooled her down she still had the uneasy feeling of being watched.

2

Sarah sat in the bushes where they had caught Graham earlier and watched while Penny dived into the lake. The other girl sat on the bank and dipped her feet into the water. Wait till Amanda hears about this. That bitch Penny will be history.

3

Tamicka looked down at her fractured reflection in the ripples of the water without really seeing it. Her mind was somewhere else; a different time and place altogether.

4

The snow was deep on the ground and Tamicka's mother was still away in Toronto promoting her latest art exhibition. Tamicka watched the snowman, which she had built with her father out in the front garden, from the living room window and wondered what her mother was doing at that moment.

"I know you miss her 'Bunny', I do too but she'll be back soon." Her father had told her.

Tamicka didn't remove her gaze from the snowman. He stared back at her in return through large bottle-cap eyes.

"Come on sweetness; help me set the table for dinner."

She heard the words but at that moment she felt every bit as inanimate as the snowman. The sudden ring of the telephone shocked her. At the second ring, she jumped up from her place at the window and raced over to the coffee table to answer it before her father. The excitement buzzed through her as she picked up the receiver. "Hello!" she shouted into the mouthpiece. The connection was bad and she couldn't quite make out what the person on the other end was saying. "Mommy, is that you?" Again the voice was inaudible. "Mommy, when are you coming home, I miss you!"