The Dark Place - Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

1

Tamicka looked out of her bedroom window. All of the bright summer colours in the garden below had been dulled by the dark cloud that hung heavy in the air. Penny had gone home not long after they had returned to Munford House with the promise that she would return the next day. The first tiny specks of rain touched the pane of glass and Tamicka was suddenly filled with the fear of being alone again. She had to go downstairs and find Mrs. Hughes.

2

Penny reached the end of the two rows of trees that formed the natural arch, which covered the driveway from the big house all the way down to the main road, and looked up at the dark sky. It was hard to believe that only an hour ago she was cooling off in the lake. She untied her denim jacket from around her waist and slipped it on, wrapping her arms around herself for warmth against the ever growing chill.

Penny was disappointed that her mother had been called back to the office whilst she was at the lake with Tamicka. There was no chance of getting home on foot before the storm broke. Even if she walked at top speed, Penny knew that it would take her at least an hour and a half to get back from there. It was strange; until yesterday there had been no break in the long, hot summer days. The stormy weather had come straight out of nowhere, ever since Tamicka and her dad had come to town.

Penny smiled and shrugged her shoulders at the thought. "Now who's thinking crazy?" she said under her breath as she turned right and walked in the direction of home.

3

Tamicka sat quietly on the steps of the main hall and watched Mrs. Hughes pull on her jacket. She wished that the old woman didn't have to go back to town tonight. At the same time Tamicka understood that she had to go home sooner or later. By the sluggishness of her actions as she prepared to leave, anyone would have thought that Mrs. Hughes was in no real hurry to get back to her husband. She slowly fastened the buttons of her jacket and fished around in the right hand pocket for a while before finally pulling out a headscarf. She placed it carefully onto her head and tied the knot under her double chin.

"Oh my word, you did give me a fright little one. I didn't hear you come down." Mrs. Hughes patted her chest as if trying to calm her heart.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"Oh don't worry; it wasn't that bad a fright." The housekeeper smiled. "I was just about to come and get you anyway."

"Really?" Tamicka asked.

"Yes. Your Daddy has kindly offered to give me a lift back into town so that I don't get caught in the rain, and we can't very well leave you here all alone can we?"

The old woman walked over to Tamicka and sat down beside her. Instinctively, Tamicka allowed her head to rest softly against Mrs. Hughes' arm. She grabbed one of the old woman's wrinkled, liver spotted hands in both of her own and held it in her lap. It was warm and much softer than she had expected it to be. She took in a deep breath, let out a long, unsteady sigh and then closed her eyes.

"Come now little one, what's all this in aid of then?"

"Thank you." Tamicka said as she clasped the hand a little tighter and snuggled closer to the woman.

"And exactly what is it that you're thanking me for?"

"I don't know, for staying here with us I guess." Tamicka replied. "It was your day off but you stayed with us anyway. I know that you didn't have to do that, so thanks."

"Oh, now don't you be so silly sweetheart, it was my pleasure." There was a smile in Mrs. Hughes' voice as she stroked the little girl's hair.

Tamicka felt comfortable with Mrs. Hughes; more comfortable than she had been with any other person since she had lost her mother. It was incredible. She had only known her for two days, yet the connection that she felt between them was so strong, as if they had known each other forever. Tamicka sat up. She still clasped the hand to her lap and enjoyed the warmth from it. She stared at it for a while and moved her thumbs across its craggy surface in soft, circular motions.