The Dark Place - Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

1

Mrs. Hughes smiled as both girls let out sighs and groans and rubbed their thin stomachs. "Now that's how I like to see my girls," she said as she picked up the crockery and cutlery from the dining room table, "full and satisfied. Now, does anybody want more?"

"No!" both girls shouted as one.

"You're both so thin but a few more meals like this and I'll soon put some meat on those bones. Now go out and play while I get this little lot cleared away.

Penny and Tamicka didn't waste any time. As soon as Mrs. Hughes turned her back she heard the scraping of chairs and footfalls across the floor as both girls ran, as best they could with their full bellies, out to the garden.

2

It had taken an hour and a half for Tamicka and Penny to explore the entire walled garden and during that time they found that they had quite a lot in common. They liked the same sort of music, the same movies, even the same television programmes. The expedition ended at the bench in the centre of the garden.

"Well, I guess that's it," Tamicka sighed, "we've seen everything." She looked down at Penny's wrist watch. "Wow, it's even later than I thought."

"Hey, are you trying to get rid of me or something?" asked Penny. "It's only one-thirty; I'm sure my mum will let me know when she's ready to leave."

"Okay, I guess we could check the house out. I could show you my room and then we could look around for secret passages." Tamicka saw the slight shiver stir through the other girl.

"No, it's too nice out here to be cooped up inside." There was a slight edge of fear in Penny's voice that betrayed her broad smile. "I know just the place to be on a day like this"

"Where?"

"Have you been down to the lake yet?"

"The lake? I didn't know there was one."

"That's where the Eastlake gets its name from," Penny answered. "Do you want to see it?"

Tamicka felt the excitement swirl through her. "Wow, sure, is it far from here?"

"Not too far, do you need to tell your dad?"

The sadness tried to worm its way through again but Tamicka held it at bay. "Don't worry; I doubt he'll even know I'm gone."

3

The little cottage in the woods had stood at the far end of the lake for over two hundred years. Once it had been the home of the gamekeeper of the Munford Estate, but now it was just a dilapidated husk of a building hidden by a dense cover of weeds and vines, forgotten by all but some of the older of the townspeople.

Sarah Wilmot and her friends had stumbled across it two years earlier when they had tried to find out what was at the other end of the lake. It had taken over forty-five minutes non-stop through the undergrowth, thick forest and boggy ground but the discovery of the cottage had made the journey worth every uncomfortable moment.

The cottage became the perfect meeting place for the four girls. They called it 'The Camp' and they met there whenever the weather was too bad to hang around in the clearing at the other end of the lake.

Sarah had gone home when she had left the others after the confrontation with Graham. She had changed from her dress into a pair of short, white jeans and a powder blue T-shirt. Her new boyfriend had told her how to dress for their little meeting and in return she had stipulated the place. The look on his face when she had mentioned the cottage in the woods was almost comical. He had lived in Eastlake for most of his life but had never even heard of the place, not that she'd expected he would have. She had told him to meet her on the common by the edge of the woods at two o'clock and she would lead the way from there.

Sarah looked down at her watch.

2:28.

Bastard!

The sounds of approaching voices and laughter shocked her.

What are Amanda and Wendy doing back here? They could ruin everything.

It wasn't that she was ashamed of her boyfriend. If she had her way she would have let everyone in town know about their relationship. After all, it had taken her long enough to hook him in the first place. No, it was his idea to keep the whole thing quiet until the time was right. They had been an item for over a month, meeting in secret whenever he could drag himself away from his other life. She had begun to wonder if the time would ever be right.

Sarah turned, ran for the cover of the trees, crouched down in the undergrowth and waited. The sprint had left her short of breath but she managed to keep it under control concentrating on each intake and release of air as if her life depended on it.

Just a minute, why the fuck am I hiding? She thought as the voices came closer. So I wanted to come to the lake for a swim by myself; there's no law against that is there?

In a matter of seconds, the voices became less muffled and realization dawned on Sarah. Hold on a minute; that sounds like Penny. What the hell is she doing here? Penny was doing most of the talking but after a long silence, Sarah heard a voice that was completely unknown to her.

Who the fuck's that? She listened a little longer as the two girls passed right by where she was hiding. Sounds like Minnie Mouse with a dick shoved up her arse. Sarah almost laughed at the thought but managed to resist. She rose slowly, peered through the thick greenery and saw Penny followed a little blond girl.

So that's why you didn't come to the barn earlier. Just wait till Amanda hears about her precious Penny giving her the brush off in favour of that little bitch. Sarah smiled to herself.

Author's Note

If you liked this chapter please give it a vote. It's easy to do, you only have to press on the star and that's all there is to it. Your vote will help push The Dark Place up the charts where it will make it easier for people to find and read. Thank you very much. :o)

'