The Dark Place - Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

1

Tamicka's father parked the car on the third level of The Mullen's multi storey car park.

"Right then, what would you two young ladies like to do first?" He said as he looked around the headrest of the driver's seat.

Tamicka put her hand over her face and giggled.

"What's so funny?" Mrs. Hughes asked.

"He just called you a young lady." Tamicka laughed.

"Well, it's the least he could do after trying to burn down my beautiful kitchen this morning.

Tamicka saw her father quickly turn his head away from them, as if he wanted to break away from the uncomfortable subject, and she laughed even more.

"Okay, what's it to be then?" He asked as he unbuckled his seatbelt.

"Well, I won't slow you young ones down by trailing along with you." Mrs. Hughes said in reply. "I'll just go down to the market and get some things in for our tea and I'll meet you back here in a couple of hours, all right?" She held her hand out to the front seat.

"Huh?"

"I'll need a little money for provisions, won't I?"

"Oh, sure, here." Tamicka's father handed her two, ten-pound notes from his wallet.

The old woman kept her hand there until he placed another twenty pounds onto her palm, then she quickly put the money into her pocket, gave Tamicka a kiss on the cheek, and climbed out of the car. She was already halfway to the stairwell before either of them could blink.

"Wow, pretty fast for an old gal, huh?" said her father as he opened his door and climbed out of the car.

"Daddy!" Tamicka laughed.

"What?"

"Now that wasn't very nice, was it?"

"I know and I'm sorry, but it just happens to be true. Now, what are we going to do first?"

"Maybe we could look around for somewhere to eat?"

"Whatever you want Bunny. Your wish is my command."

He opened the door and held out his hand for her. She giggled again, took it and climbed out.

"Daddy, you're funny." she said.

"Only when I walk like this." He replied, doing a larger-than-life goose-step towards the door to the stairwell through which Mrs. Hughes had disappeared.

The door opened while he was still in full, exaggerated step and an elderly couple walked through to the parking level. Tamicka laughed at the mortified expressions on each of their faces as they watched him quickly try to compose himself.

"Good afternoon." He said to them uncomfortably.

"Yeah, hi." Tamicka smiled sweetly, more to the woman than the man.

"Blooming Yank's – think they won the bloody war." The stony faced old man snapped, while the old lady just smiled back down at Tamicka.

"Hey, I couldn't agree more." Tamicka's father smiled cheekily as they ran past the old couple and down the stairwell.

 2

The Burger Palace was fairly crowded but Penny had noticed Wendy Jones from the moment she and her mother walked inside. Wendy sat alone in the far corner, pouting contentedly into her compact. Slowly, she moved her head from side to side, up and down, making sure never to lose eye contact with the mirror.