12『powerless』

12

_______________________

"G—Good morning, Erwin," the assistant spoke in a gentle tone, gulping. He felt just like before— a trapped mice with no escape. He woke up this morning with nothing more but nervousness, fear and anxiety.

"Good morning," the blond responded with no trouble, staring at him with his usual heavy gaze. As the poor assistant expected, bearing the dominant look wasn't possible for him, as he preferred to look away in nervousness. Erwin narrowed his eyes by the evasion, but expected such by the same situation they were before, "I believe you know why I called you."

The boy didn't want to answer— he stayed late at night trying to figure out anything to take care of Reiner, but he barely protected Eren by whatever punishment he could have received that time. He couldn't just leave them— It was against his morals, and he knew they didn't really mean to hurt him like that. It was just... a mistake, something he had to take care of to do his job better. These things happened; it didn't have to be a big deal for him. But for whatever reason it was a huge deal to his coworkers every time something happened to him.

His thoughts were interrupted by Erwin's voice calling his name, "I'm waiting for your answer," it was clear he wasn't happy either— there was no welcoming smile on his face, nothing that [Name] could feel comfort with. The same as before, unfortunately. [Name] knew Erwin wanted answers, something the assistant didn't want to give. Both of them were visible tensed, one more visible than the other.

It's not as if he could just lie. Erwin knew about everything beforehand anyway, and he believed telling a lie would be much worse than telling the truth. So, in a defeated, low voice, [name] answered. "...Yes."

The reaction wasn't immediate. The blue-eyed man observed in such manner it made [name]'s body cringe. Whatever he wanted to find, it was enough to satisfy him. "Good," he leaned back on the chair, pleased by the assistant's cooperation, "tell me what happened. Don't lie this time, I would appreciate if you didn't."

Being under such harsh gaze didn't make lying possible— it was as if Erwin was watching his every movement. [Name] couldn't help himself and played with his hands nervously. He didn't want to be under this interrogation again, but here he was. There had to be something else he could do to evade these situations, but none came to mind. He was stuck, and no miracle would help Reiner nor him out of this.

"Hmn," [Name] began, playing with a part of his white coat. What could he say? 'Well, Reiner choke me and almost kills a worker'? No way. "There... was a small problem going on yesterday..."

Blue eyes narrowed. "Define small."

[name] gulped. "Uh... Mr. Braun lost control of himself, and... attacked me and another worker— but the situation was handled!" The assistant tried to finish such horrible statement with an awkward smile. That was the nicest way he could put it— it was the truth, really.