Chapter XI

The Underworld was much more different, yet still oddly familiar to the world outside. The buildings and streets looked just like a regular urban area but with little dark twists that set it apart. Emma looked at the pamphlet in her hands, the drawing was definitely something she hadn't seen before, not as a graffity nor as a decoration. Even if there was a symbol inside the feral hideout she was too busy trying to survive to pay attention.

She sighed and tried her best not to take attention as she walked between the streets, looking at the different types of supernaturals with curiosity. It was obvious why some of them would prefer to stay hidden, tails, ears and scaly skins were a dead giveaway. She finally saw White Heather in the next street and quickly slipped inside the crowd, the same thick concoction of scents sending a line of shivers down her back. Tristan was standing behind the bar mixing some cocktails and Rhiannon was out of sight as always. She approached the bar, making him look surprised and show a pleasant smile.

"Hey, didn't expect to see you back so soon."

He stopped shaking the metal cups before pouring them inside a glass with ice cubes, adding a straw and slices of fruit before sending it off to a customer nearby. He took some other alcohol bottles and talked while working on a new one.

"You need something?"

"Yeah, actually Jes sent me."

"The necromancer gal huh. I know she and Rhi are close but I didn't expect her to befriend anyone else."

"Why is that?"

Tristan measured and poured some alcohol inside the cup as he thought about his words.

"Loner wouldn't be the right word but she's pretty hostile towards others. Not like starting random fights, but more with a sharp tongue and blunt words."

"Yeah, I can see that part..."

He closed the cups and started shaking them with professional speed, taking a minute before pouring the mix into a glass and slicing some fruits.

"Anyway, what's it that you needed?"

"My phone broke in a recent accident so Jes told me I could ask for a new one from you. Also asked you to save her and Caleb's numbers in contacts."

"Yup, that's easy. Just wait until I finish this order."

He placed the fruits and sent the order off.

"Right, stay here and I'll be back in a moment."

He disappeared behind the curtain door again, gone for about ten minutes before coming back with a phone in his hand.

"We don't exactly give away phones but Jes probably had a reason to ask for one so," he reached the phone out to Emma, "Here you go, both of their numbers are saved."

He took another bottle of alcohol, looking at the paper clipped behind the bar and preparing the next order.

"Is there a chance that this is related to the accident Rhi's been dealing with?"

"Which accident?"

"Well, Jes came here covered in blood a few days ago and they left in a hurry to take care of a certain problem."

"Oh... How much do you know about that?"

"As much as necessary."

He prepared a glass with a big cube of ice and poured some rum on it, putting the completed drink to the side.

"I don't know why you suddenly appeared here or got included in all of this but you don't seem to know much about the underworld, so just make sure you're hanging around the right people and won't get killed."