Chapter XXVIII

Emma watched the outside from the tinted window of the car. Peri had sent her a location as soon as she wrote back accepting the offer. They took a turn from the highway to a road heading straight into the city, which was surprising for Emma. So far all of the kin hideouts or towers had been alongside the outskirts of the city, yet they were headed straight for the busiest part of town.

They drove past a few skyscrapers before slowing down in front of a big corporate looking building.

"Here...?"

"Yup, never expect less from the kindred with a love for elitism and show off."

The kin in the driver's seat, whose name Emma had learned was Prism, answered without much of an excitement in his voice. He was going to be Emma's escort for today, making sure the council wouldn't try to pull something funny.

He stopped at the entrance of the underground parking lot and talked to the security, who took a long look at both of them before opening the gate. Emma could notice the slightly off heart rhythm and the eerie glow in the guard's eyes, most likely a kin as well.

They descended down the incline into a wider part of the parking lot. There weren't too many cars, but the ones that were parked were way above what Emma thought would be affordable, even for the kindred.

Prism parked the car somewhere in between the others as if saying 'I'm not afraid of you' and got out, opening the door for Emma. When she got out Emma realized the presence of the kin near the entrance door of the building. She didn't recognize the face, it seemed like she was sent to escort them upstairs.

"Welcome, Emma. I see you've brought company, company that we did not invite."

She gave a rather belittling look at Prism, who returned it with an eyeroll.

"Marius sent me over, if you have a complaint feel free to give him a call."

The girl creased her brows, taking out her phone and dialing up a number. After two calls the line connected.

"Marius sent some pest over, should I let him in?"

Phone conversations were almost never a secret between kindred in the same room. Their sensitive hearing allowed everyone to listen in on any conversation that was happening in the same room, no matter how quiet. Emma heard a short pause and a chuckle from a voice she didn't recognize, along with approval for the request. The girl near the door squinted in distaste and turned around.

"Follow me."

"Wow, seems the council didn't forget they aren't god figures yet."

"Don't push your luck, it's only a word from Ophen for you to be buried deep underground."

"Doubt it, but you can try."

Emma could feel the girl's heart rate pick up as she clenched her hands into fists, which was always a sign for getting ready to fight. There was a short inhale as she opened her mouth to talk, but then continued walking in silence. Prism looked amused and content at the reaction and didn't push his luck any further.

The girl, who still hasn't given them her name, led them to a set of elevators. It looked very roomy and luxurious once they stepped into one of them. It seemed like the council really loved luxury, and Emma could feel herself sticking out like a sore spot as she looked around at everything in awe. She felt extremely out of place, and Prism squeezed her shoulder to reassure her. She looked up at him, his eyes and expression almost saying 'don't worry'. She didn't think he would be able to say it out loud with the company they have with them.

After a while the elevator stopped at the very top floor of the skyscraper. Emma couldn't even imagine how it would feel like to be this high up and next to a window. Luckily once they stepped out, she saw that there were literally no windows along the walls or the roof. The room was very dimly lit with extremely gothic furniture and dark walls. She knew these would be old vampires, but with how fancy and luxurious the entrance was Emma couldn't help but expect a more modern interior. As soon as she stepped into the huge hall though, she froze in her place with the crushing amount energy she felt from the room. If what she had felt with Nehut was intense, this was double if not triple that. Her entire body felt electrified with the hairs on her arms standing up. It was like touching a very strong current.