CHAPTER 6

Agnes let me out. That night she was alone in my room, without Selma nor Rowena. I was glad. I couldn't beat to see their ugly wrinkled prune faces.

"Have you learned your lesson?"

She peered down at me. She might be old, but she was still a few inches taller. I nodded reluctantly.

"I have."

"And what will you do tomorrow?"

"I will—I will talk to Uriel."

"And you think that's a good idea?" She sniggered.

"I won't seduce him yet," I said quickly. "I'll—I'll be sorrowful. I'll cry. I'll even throw myself on his feet and beg for forgiveness."

She smiled. "Let's see, then, where you'll go tomorrow."

The next morning, I went downstairs. Adalyn and Bernadette had dressed me up in a silvery grey gown that reflected the light, and matched the clouds outside, and braided my hair and pinned it behind me with matching silver hairpins. Earrings of gemstones also hung from my ears like raindrops.

When I stepped downstairs, all the eyes were on me.

"Lady Margery, you've returned!" Yves beamed.

"I'm glad, you've been sick for a long time: Dr.Gregoire was going to check up on you," Karl added.

"But you look fine," the doctor said, giving Agnes a look. "Oh well, what's good is that you're good."

"Thank you all for worrying about me." I smiled. "I missed eating with you all. It's not often that we have guests."

I sat between Sabine and Primrose again. Primrose sent me a look.

"Oh, that dress. It's one of your favorites. What's so special today?"

"Nothing," I replied. "I'm feeling better to eat breakfast with the guests."

"Well, we were doing good without you."

"Primrose!" Sabine hissed. Primrose turned the other way.

"I'm glad you're back," Cecile said. "Adalyn, would you mind bringing me some sugar cubes?"

"You take sugar?" Dr.Gregoire asked. Cecile laughed softly.

"Dr.Gregoire, we've being having breakfast for nearly two week now. I have sugar ever morning with my tea."

"I apologize, I haven't being paying attention."

"I suggest you do, the diet of a vampire must be noted down." The doctor looked surprised.

"You're right. You know that?"

"I've heard a lot from Karl," she replied. "And I also want to thank you again for the 'encyclopedia'."

"What's an 'encyclopedia'?" I asked. Cecile turned to me. To my surprise, her cheeks looked rosier than usual, and she was smiling brightly.

"You must come to my room today, Margery! Dr.Gregoire brought me back an illustrated encyclopedia about flowers, and it's beautiful. There are all sorts of flowers in the world!"

"That sounds interesting," I said, hardly understanding what was going on.

Was it a book? A piece of paper? Flowers weren't interesting either: visitors often brought bouquets when they came, and Cecile used to dry them, but when they dried, the colors faded. There was nothing beautiful about flowers. They were ephemeral. I am much more beautiful.

I finished my breakfast in silence, and then Cecile followed Dr.Gregoire somewhere while Primrose and Sabine went with Yves, Serge, and Marcel. Agnes gave me a look, and I walked over to Uriel, who trailed about Dr.Gregoire.