CHAPTER 36

I stopped having craving for blood for a week, as well as butterfly dreams—what I'd begin calling those dreams.

I was often barred from being with Uriel alone, at least subtly, by Veronique and Laurel. Laurel scared me. Sometimes when she smiled at me I had flashbacks back to Agnes, and what I saw of Edith from my dream.

Cecile was cheerful, though. Well, she had a room with Dr.Gregoire and by this time I started to just call him Gregoire. I forgot his first name.

Most days it was rowdy and fun, Gregoire taught the girls and Cecile games with a board and dice. The girls yelped in joy or groaned childishly of it was bad. I sat at the divan with either Veronique or Laurel chaperoning as Uriel and Yves hung out with me.

"Maybe we can play cards," Yves said.

"Gregoire has that too," I said, staring at the mass of games and toys he found.

"What memories," Veronique said to Laurel from their seats, her chuckling fondly as Lark begin to throw a tantrum over something. "Remember when Yves was the same?"

"No, ma'am, Yves never brought over any friends." Laurel's face was blank. I wanted to laugh and I'm sure Yves turned around in embarrassment.

"Well, he played with me," Veronique said defensively.

"That's kind of pitiful, isn't it, Uriel?" I said, seeing Yves back facing me.

"I didn't have friends either. I feel like I understand Yves. A bit."

I sighed. The boys always teamed up so I stared longingly at Adalyn and Cecile, who were in a team, cheering. Gregoire declared them winner.

Dinner was also always full of them talking, and I realized their arrival made my world much lonelier.

As I was heading back to my room, Cecile tugged at my dress. I had began wearing a plainer ensemble from Laurel's trip to a seamstress. It was nothing more than a long skirt with a lacy blouse. I smiled down at her.

"How's it being outside, Cecile? Are you happy, without any guilt?"

Her eyes narrowed at the sharp tone of my voice.

"Don't fight within us, Margery—or Marie. I still go by Cecile."

"I've realized. And I'm just jealous, you're so beloved by the kids and Gregoire and even Yves mother and that vampire, Laurel," I snapped. "Now what do you want? To play mother and be here like this? I'm disappointed in you, Cecile!"

She pulled back, hurt. She shook her head before looking up at me.

"No, but—but what do you want, then? You've been here nearly a month, haven't you?"

"I want to find my mother and brother and Edith! I want to let them know how much I've suffered and how much I hate them!" I cried, turning my face away. "I want to go to the outside world, further than this, a world without vampires. I'd cut my hair and curl it, wear heels and star in a movie. I'd catch the eye of young politicians and play with them before slipping away. I don't want to confine myself to these people and this estate."

"Oh, Margery." Cecile hugged me tightly, her cool skin against mine a distant memory of Sabine's and other times we embraced like this. I cried into Cecile's shoulder as she led me outside.

We left the door after Cecile told Laurel something in a whisper, and we sat down by the chairs in their rose garden in the backyard. From my window I often saw it, but it was my first time there. Cecile sighed and looked up at the sky.

"There's stars here too. It reminds me of home somehow. We saw the same stars and moon in Jardin when it didn't rain," Cecile mused.

"My window was so small. Now the world is so big but I can't do anything I want."