CHAPTER 41

When a month or two passed Laurel called over another vampire midwife named Shannon and the two watched over Cecile.

We were all very careful and Gregoire always held her when she had to go up or down the stairs. Gregoire was ready to feed her and hand her a glass of mouth but Cecile said it was fine. She was shaken at first, she told me, by being coddled by everyone.

Within time, however, she was aching and would feel it moving so she would lie in a guest room on the first floor with Laurel and Shannon. Gregoire would usually join but he also come to Yves and Uriel crying over being so helpless. He was, but aren't all men?

After dinner in the dining room Lark, Adalyn, and Bernadette were betting what sex the child would be.

"Female!" Lark insisted.

"I think with all the kicking it's a boy," Adalyn protested. "What do you think, Berry?"

"Don't call me that. And it's useless to guess," Bernadette replied cooly. "If you want me to join we should gamble."

They went closer and said something then were angered by whatever they were betting. They had no money so I assumed it was some necklace or earrings they had. Adalyn had nice jewelry but Bernadette had some rings and only her thin fingers fit so they seemed to be arguing.

Bernadette had a scary six sense, and only a while later she came to me asking why I was so sad for.

"I'm not sad," I tried to laugh off, but my fingers trembled. I thought each day if Cecile would have her delivery and what to do then. Truth was, I was just as useless as Gregoire.

"Well, you can have a child if you want. It doesn't seem worth it, though."

"Geez, you're so scary," I said to her. "Children are annoying but Lark and you two gave me confidence to leave the tower."

Bernadette sat down next to me in her dark green dress, folding her hands on her lap.

"And think," I whispered, "we grow stronger everyday now, know more about the outside world. And eight-ish months have passed, so more than half a year outside. It's getting cold again, and sometimes it reminds me of the castle when it rains, but it's so much beautiful here."

I thought of the streets I ran from Elsie's house. But I also remembered looking at the sky with Cecile, her ring like a star.

"But I want to see more than this, more than this manor and the neighboring towns. I want to see stores full of dresses, places I heard you sing and dance with people, I want to watch what's it called—films! I want to leave and go further to places I can't even start to imagine. So after Cecile's safe delivery, I will leave. Please tell the others as well."

"I admire you wanting to travel, but I can't deny I want you to not leave us."

"Oh, you cheeky brat!" I hugged her, but she groaned at my sigh of affection.

"Stop hugging me!"

"No." I hugged her tighter as my tears welled up, and then I quickly turned away to hide it. Why was I so sad suddenly? I didn't even leave yet. I didn't even talk to Uriel yet.

***

A few days later I asked Uriel to come outside with me, but further than the backyard. We decided to take a long walk to a different street, and when he rushed to me, wrapped in a coat, I thought of that rainy day in Jardin when we danced.

I couldn't help but reach out for his hand and pulled him after me, Lark grinning before closing the door behind us.

"Margery, why did you want to go on a secret walk today?" he asked as he trotted behind me.