CHAPTER 9

"Everything's going smoothly," I told Agnes when she visited another night. "I've made up with Uriel, and he showed me his drawings. I think he's less wary of me."

"Wonderful," Agnes said, and Selma and Rowena cheered behind her.

"Anyways, why is she here?" I turned to look at Primrose, who had opened my wardrobe and was digging through my clothing. She seemed bored of that and then went for the trunk where I kept my other things. I scowled. "Why are you going through my things?"

"I think I ought to get new dresses too," she said. "I ruined one last time. Oh, doesn't this one with the roses suit me, like my name?" She held the dress against her.

I scowled. "Put it back."

"Now, now," Agnes began, "we will get you both more dresses next time. We should share, as resources are scarce now."

"Why?" I asked.

"As you see, Selma and Rowena are in no condition to go out, their bones ache every now and then, and I can't leave now, obviously, with the guests in the house."

"Then can I?"

They all froze and looked at me, and Primrose whipped her head up, too.

"What? Why would you leave the tower? That's not allowed, right, Agnes?"

"Stop being such a hysterical child!" I hissed.

"You're not allowed," Agnes said at the same time. "What have you gotten into your head, you imbecile?"

Primrose's cheeks grew full as she smiled. "See? What did I say!"

You're the fool, I thought, but looked away so Agnes couldn't tell how embarrassed I was. She was right: what had gotten into my head? It was all Uriel—I had been thinking of the outside lately. Stores of all kinds of fabric and dresses. I was sick of our old rags.

"Get me a new dress soon," I said anyways. "I've been wearing the same few outfits, and I need to seduce Uriel. He's seen a fair amount of things in the outside world and I don't want to bore him."

"Oh, you won't bore him," Agnes said confidently. "You're the pride of our clan, despite your foolishness and rashness. Your beauty, at least, doesn't disappoint."

"As if," Primrose muttered under her breath. I didn't even feel happy at Agnes's compliment, which clearly irked Primrose. She had included too much insults for it to even count.

"But if you do desire it so, maybe on the next rainy Sunday I can go out." Agnes stood up. "Goodnight, Margery."

"Goodnight."

The Elders and Primrose left one by one and then closed the door behind me. I stood up and took out the floral gown Primrose was looking at. It was old, almost frayed at the edges, and the embroidery was also coming loose. The lace was ragged, too. I sighed and put it back in the trunk. We were a beautiful clan, but also a clan that followed traditions and never changed. I would never own a dress like the ones I saw in Uriel's sketchbook. A dress like the humans in capitals wore.

I would always be this beautiful butterfly—but what if one day people no longer like this beauty?

What will I do then?

Days passed with the men writing and in Uriel's case, drawing, and then a few days later, a rainy Sunday happened. I practically ran down the stairs in my hurry, not bothering to finish buttoning all of my bodice.

"So, will you be going out today?" I asked Agnes smugly the moment I stepped into the dining hall. The children were still setting up the food. Sabine looked at me in confusion. Agnes's face twitched.