CHAPTER 11

We had horrid lives even then. In our bed Sabine would cry, wetting the pillows we shared. It was of fine cloth but had been through years. We were not as powerful as we were even back then. Sometimes it was because the Elders scary expressions, sometimes it was because someone else had gotten voted out.

I would put my on hand on her face and stroke her wet cheek until she finished sobbing.

"I'll make them leave, I promise, Sabine."

"We aren't powerful enough."

"I am, I'm sure I can." Even though I saw my mother dragged away, I had foolishly thought I could protect her and Sabine.

"Be Queen Butterfly?"

"But Cecile is in line for it," I thought foolishly.

She was older than us and the other girls our age, two who didn't end up making it through ages two and four because they had mixed blood.

"No, you will!" Sabine always believed in me. "You'll be Queen Butterfly, and rule over our clan. It suits you—you're meant to be a queen."

I hadn't been into commanding much at the time, although I was beautiful at seven, and much more at fourteen, I'd always wanted to hide. I only wanted a quiet, plain life with Sabine.

"I'll be it, then," I said anyways. "I'll be Queen Butterfly. One day we will rule this castle instead of Agnes."

"But then there's men who come."

"I'll get rid of them."

"Kill them?"

"Yes." If that meant fulfilling my role and giving me power.

"But I've heard you'll have to be kept in the tower—your mother was like that.

"Well, the tower isn't that bad of a place. They have a window that oversees Jardin and butterflies come in."

"Then I'll wait for you."

"Yes, do wait."

And every night, after such a talk, I'd lean over and kiss her salty cheek before we fell asleep.

***

Sabine had went to her side.

I was completely alone.

The next day I couldn't go downstairs for breakfast. I couldn't bear seeing any of their faces—Agnes, Selma, Rowena, Priscilla, and most of all, hers.

How could it be?

When I betrayed the humans for her, and the human called me a monster, a demon, I didn't mind. I didn't, because I knew I had her. And now she's left.

How could you, Sabine?

There was a knock on my door, and I stood up quickly from my bed.

"Who is it?" I asked warily.

"It's me."

Uriel.

I had forgotten about him. I sat down on my bed again.

"Come in, Uriel."

The door opened and he came in. His face and hair were so much like hers. I looked away.

"If you don't mind me asking, what is wrong, Margery?" He put down his bag of materials on the chair and then walked over to me. "Was it because of yesterday? Did you—are you in trouble?"

I peered up at him, and my heart ached. This man—he could never understand me.

"Sit down," I said. He stood there stiffly, and opened his mouth, but I cut him off. "Sit, please." Without another word, Uriel sat down slowly, still inches away, keeping his distance from me.