09

━

CHAPTER NINE
The Prison

          BEFORE HANA KNEW it, the days passed which turned into weeks which eventually turned into a month and a half. She, Dae and Cory had been with Glenn and his group for over a month on the run. After the cabin, there was no other stable place they could stay long enough that gave them proper protection and comfortability for Lori's baby.

Things gradually grew less and less awkward between Hana the others, but mostly between her, Lori, Carol, Beth, Maggie, Hershel and T-Dog. Rick was never in a talking mood and Daryl made no effort to talk to her much after the incident with Rex and Liam except during their watch shifts.

They had integrated themselves nicely in the group with the group with their own roles. Cory was another soldier – another fighter, he went hunting with Daryl and had become good friends with him and T-Dog. Dae was another helper around camp, she helped occupy Carl and helped with the cooking and maintenance. And Hana – Hana was their go to person for runs and watch duty.

She was sat in the cargo bed of the pick up truck with Cory as they drove down the road, trying to find a place to settle down. The clothes Hana wore – her long sleeve white t-shirt and green cargo shorts were covered in mud, dirt and spots of blood and smelled like sweat. It wasn't the nicest look. But she was used to it by now.

When the truck pulled to a stop, Hana jumped out as they all gathered around the hood of the mint car, a map on top of it. Rick instructed Carl and Beth on point and look out as they discussed where to go next.

"We got no place left to go." T-Dog huffed.

"When this herd meets up with this one, we'll be cut off," Maggie explained in exasperation as she gestured to two drawn circles. "We'll never make it south."

Daryl looked between Glenn and Hana, "What'd you say? It was about 150 a head?"

"That was last week, there could be twice that by now." The former assumed as he lazily rested his elbow on Hana's head.

"Even if it stayed at 150 we don't have the ammo to try and get past it," She said, swatting Glenn's hand out her face. "Too much of a risk."

"This river could have delayed them," Hershel chimed in, pointing at the map. "If we move fast, we might have a shot to tear through there."

"Yeah, but if this group joins with that one, they could spill out this way." T-Dog pointed out, his finger tracing a circle on the map.

Maggie sighed, "So, we're blocked."

"The only thing to do is double back at 27, swing towards Greenville." Rick piped up.

"We picked through that already," T-Dog reminded. "It's like we spent the winter going in circles."