10

━

CHAPTER TEN
The Clear Out

HANA STOOD BETWEEN Glenn and Cory with her machete up. They were currently following through with Rick's plan in clearing the courtyard and that meant she, Cory, Glenn, Maggie, Daryl, T-Dog and of course, Rick were going in with no guns.

She was wearing the bandana Daryl had given her and it felt weird – but a good weird. She loved her cap but with it off, her sight had broadened and she actually missed having the sun hit the entirety of her face. And she enjoyed letting her scalp breathe. For a while she was worried she was going to go bald.

A walker came towards her and Hana grabbed its jumpsuit, swinging her machete into its head with a yell. She kicked its corpse back as she turned to the other one heading her way.

Using both her hands, she drove her blade in between its eyes and let it fall to the floor with a heavy thud, ignoring the blood that splattered all over her no longer white shirt.

"Get tight! Get tight!" Glenn shouted as more approached and Hana stepped back towards the group.

She could hear the rest of the group on the other side of the fence trying to catch the walkers' attention but by the sound of their desperate yells, it wasn't working out as well as they hoped.

"Han," Cory muttered from her side. "That ones yours."

Hana stepped forwards to the one coming in on her and slashed its face. When it crumbled to the floor, Glenn stood over it and struck his sharp metal pole into its left eye.

From her right, Cory decapitated a walker with his axe while Daryl finished it off.

"Don't break ranks!" Rick bellowed.

"We need that!" Came T-Dog's reply.

Hana glanced over her shoulder to see T had grabbed a shield from a dead prison guard. A walker then charged at T-Dog and he pushed it back with his shield. It fell back on the floor and Maggie finished it off, quickly backing into their ranks after Rick's yells.

Another came towards Hana in their moment of distraction and she clenched her jaw.

For fuck sake.

With a yell, she swung her machete through its neck, its head rolling off to the side which Daryl stabbed, nodding at her.

They pushed through further in the courtyard, Hana waiting for any surprises, keeping her blade up at the ready.

"Almost there," Rick said as he walked towards the cell block, pushing the door open with a creak. He glanced around the corner Hana told him to be weary of before he abruptly pressed his back across the wall. "Shit."