16

━

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
Reunion

          WILLIAM ASHFORD WOKE up that morning expecting it to be another normal day in Woodbury. He'd get up, go to his post, argue with Luke, check in on Julian and do it all again the next day. But it wasn't just a normal day.

He was on a break from watch and was sat on the bench on the side of the road as he watched people walk down the streets. He ran his hand through his black hair, pushing it back.

Julian sat next to him, his legs dangling off the bench. The ten-year old turned to him, tilting his head to the side. "Do they still have ice cream left?"

Will forced a crooked smile. "Only a little. But I'll make sure you get it."

The little boy next to him was about the only thing keeping him going. Will still remembered when he and Luke found him. He was holed up in the back of an old store waiting for his father who told him to wait there and that he'd be back in an hour. Julian had been waiting there for two days – dehydrated and hungry.

Will had seen the truth hiding beneath this town. He knew the secrets it held under its so called safety. And yet, he stayed.

It had been two months since Rex Miller had returned without Liam Livingstone but with Hana Rhee's hunting knife covered in blood.

That's when he knew he fucked up.

Since that night, he had always regretted not going with her when she asked. He played that night over and over again before he slept, remembering the way she slipped through that wall smoothly, wishing he had gone with her. But he didn't.

Luke walked up to him. He hadn't been the same since he found out his brother was dead. He was more erratic, volatile – more like his brother. Will was worried. The two had met when shit hit the fan and had been with each other ever since – they had arrived at Woodbury together and despite everything that happened, Will still believed there was something about Luke worth saving.

"Hey, man."

Will nodded in greeting. "Hey."

Luke smiled at Julian. "Hey, little man. What have you got planned today?"

The ten-year old grinned widely. "Will said he'd get me ice cream."

"Did he now?" Luke asked and Will merely shrugged when the blonde boy looked at him. "Merle's back."  

"Did he ki–" Will then remebered Julian sitting next to him. "–get Michonne?"

"I don't know. I didn't see. Martinez told me to get you to go meet him round back. I'll take over your watch shift."