Part 15

Vikram Singhal was growing restless with every passing moment. He was putting his best efforts on focusing on the data displayed on his laptop, but his eyes recklessly and insolently wandered towards the door, hoping to find her at the threshold.

Every knock at his door made him anxious and intensified his eagerness to meet as he wondered if it would be her. He has had enough of the wait and addressed the employees. It was the lunch hour and the perfect time to address them as the staff had lunch in their cubicles because of the lack of a cafeteria.

He picked his blazer, which was sprawled across the sofa in the cabin, and slipped into it. He adjusted his cuffs and made his way towards the cubicles, pondering about her reaction. Would she be elated and greet him with the widest of grins, or would it would take her aback and stare blankly at him with her doe-like eyes?

The sight which greeted him had shattered his expectations. The woman who had snatched his peace had cosied up to her best friend, with an enticing and mischievous smile playing on her lips. His enthusiasm had vaporized and gave way to infuriating annoyance and envy.

He cleared his throat, forcing everyone, including Rohan and Shikha, to turn their attention to him. They rose from their seats to greet him, but Shikha did not try to place any distance between herself and Rohan, much to his vexation.

He had expected a resounding success of his plan, but the sight in front of him declared otherwise. He wondered the ruse had made her idolize him and hence nullifying any romantic interest in her heart.

"Good afternoon. I am Vikram Singhal, Founder of VSTech. Due to unforeseen circumstances, this wonderful startup had occurred great losses, forcing the enigmatic Mr. Rajesh Verma to look for a potential buyer of the shares. Looking at the great potential of the startup, VSTech and I have integrated it into our vast empire, which prizes the innovation that this startup offers. We will retain all of you and I hope we have a great time working together," he revealed, donning the mask of the perfect entrepreneur.

The staff cheered after listening to the happiness while clapping with joy. Using the news as an excuse, Shikha had wrapped her arms around Rohan and pulled him into a bone-crushing hug. Rohan, who was trembling in fear because of Vikram, tried to wriggle out of her grip, but it was of no avail.

Vikram headed back to his cabin before he does something that he would regret. Rohan's distress and surprise clearly showed that he did not expect her behavior. He could not understand what she was up to and a part of him offered if she was trying to make him jealous or exact revenge for not meeting her on the last day of her internship.

A smirk made its way to his lips as his unwavering confidence in his plan backed the idea. He made rounds later and allow her some time to cool down.

He did not have the faintest idea that after what she had learned, she was a ticking bomb waiting to explode.

_________________________________________

When a similar sight greeted his sore eyes again, Vikram knew he has had enough.

"Shikha. Follow me to my cabin," he ordered, ignoring the curious looks and hushed whispers that surrounded him.

Rohan was every bit perplexed and perturbed as his anxious face revealed. He could not understand the reason behind the sudden changes in his best friend's behavior, which coincided with the return of Vikram Singhal into their lives.

Her nervous excitement to meet him, her innocent admiration and her unwavering trust in him during their internship had made him expect a greater reaction from her upon seeing him once again. But, much to his surprise, she had clung to him like he held her most prized possession.

Shikha nodded in affirmation and followed him wordlessly. With every step she took in the direction of his cabin, she felt her steps grow heavier, like her heart. The silence that surrounded them was the calm before the storm, and she was well aware of that.

"Shikha. I did not know that you were working here. What a great coincidence," he exclaimed, as they entered his cabin. Shikha merely smiled at his statement without uttering a single word in response. She knew that the moment she opened her mouth, she would not be able to stop herself from expressing her fury to him.

"I am aware of your close friendship with Mr. Rohan. However, I would like to remind you that you are prohibited from displaying such affection for Mr. Rohan in the office. It is unprofessional," rebuked Vikram, settling into his chair as he signed for her to take the seat across from him.

She mustered all her strength and asked if that was the only reason it was prohibited.

"Excuse me?" he said, arching his eyebrow at her as her icy bitter tone and her stiff posture conveyed that she was displeased and disappointed with the situation.

"How about we speak truths, Sir? Unlike what you have done so far in the time we have known each other," she remarked, her lips twisting in disgust.

Vikram felt an emotion reacquainting with him he had lost touch with - fear. Fear that she had learned the truth and instead of love, she would harbor unconditional hatred for him. Fear that she would slip away from him, like her.

"I don't know what you are talking about," he replied, attempting to conceal the truth from her.

"For God's sake, drop the act, Sir. I have overheard your conversation with Shekhar Sir about you trapped in your weaved web of lies and deceit, how I walked right into the trap and gave away the knowledge that was used against me. Stupid me! Silly me! In the desperation for validation, I did not know that it would catch me in the illusion crafted by you! Unfortunately for you, and fortunately for me, the rooms here are not soundproof, and I heard your arrogant words before I destroyed my life with my own hands!"