Part 32

Discomfort and unease slithered around her unconscious form, and beads of sweat rolled over her skin despite the powerful blasts of air from the air-conditioner. The resounding call of help from an infant calling out to its mother forced Shikha's eyes open, and she gasped for air.

Her petrified eyes looked around in the faint light entering the room through the window. The blood pressure cuff around her left arm hindered the movement of her arm towards her abdomen to feel for her bump.

Her breaths came out as gasps and she could not help the whimpers that left her lips when her fingers caressed the slight upward curve of her belly. The cold and pervasive fear in the pit of her abdomen clenched her heart, and it was not long before her whimpers turned into wails.

The doors to Vikram's soul flung open at the sobs that resonated in the room. Dread pooled in his heart at her raspy breaths and the hiccoughs that interrupted her wails.

"Shikha.."

The light from the screens reflected off widened eyes. She grabbed onto his hand and placed it against her belly. His fingers twitched in discomfort before they relaxed after a moment of thought. It contorted his face with worry to witness her desperation. "My baby! Is my baby alright?"

"The baby's fine now, Shikha. Your baby is safe!" he said, pressing the button on the side railing of her bed to switch the light on.

He had expected her to push his hands away when her overwhelmed eyes met his weary ones, but her palm remained rested against his and holding it against her abdomen.

Her lips quivered and her chest heaved with the unvoiced sobs. Her nails almost drew blood from the back of his palm. "B-but the blood.. the blood! I-I felt the blood, and I-I fell!"

Vikram settled on the stool next to her bed and clasped her quivering fingers between his firm yet gentle ones. "You had a threatened abortion because of the stress. You're fine now, Shikha. Your baby is safe," he said, offering a reassuring smile to her.

The look of absolute devastation morphed into a jubilant and ecstatic smile. She closed her eyes in a prayer to the Almighty and allowed the tears to roll down the corners of her eyes. The galloping rhythm of her heart eased into a more relaxed rhythm and the frantic heaving of her chest transformed into a rhythmic fall and rise.

Vikram tried to pull his fingers from her grasp when her eyelids flung open and she eyed him with horror. "Jijaji?! How is he? Is he okay?"

"He is. The bullet missed the vital organs, and the doctors removed the bullet. He's out of danger now. And your sister is with him now," he said.

"Oh, thank God!" she said, letting out an exasperated sigh before adding, "And thank you! Thank you so much, Vikram!"

Vikram flashed a half-smile at her and withdrew his hands from her grip. She averted her eyes as the awkwardness of causing him discomfort enveloped her. He crossed his arms against his chest. "Of course! Uh, do you feel okay? Do you need something? Um, water, maybe?"

Shikha had not noticed how parched her throat was till Vikram had asked her if she needed something. The thirst slashed the momentary hesitation in nothingness. "Yes, water, please."

Vikram rose from his position and picked the chilly ceramic glass from the table near the door to place it on the side table. He eyed the buttons on the side railing and pressed the buttons to help elevate the bed into a sitting position.

He offered her the glass of water and she gulped it down in one go. "Do you need, uh, some more water?" he asked as she looked down at the empty glass in her hand without uttering a word.

Blood rushed to her cheeks, and she nodded in affirmation. "If it isn't too much trouble!"

Vikram brought the jug of water and poured in the glass she held out. Her disheveled hair, her flushed cheeks and her downcast eyes had distracted him enough to pour the water into excess to cause an overflow. "DAMN!! I'm sorry!"

"It's fine! It's just water!" she said, brushing the water away from her clothes with a confused look. She emptied the second glass in no longer than a moment, but it eased the burning ache in the need of hydration at the back of her throat.

"Thank you!" she said as Vikram took the glass from her when she tried to place it on the side table. He eyed her pale form and wondered if it was the right time to reveal the truth before he decided there was no time like the present.

"Uh, I made my decision after considering everything that happened in the last twenty-four hours. I'm ready to marry you!"

Her head jerked towards him in response to his announcement. "WHAT?! Wait, did my current condition force you into this decision?"

"It's for the best. Why? Did you change your mind?" he asked, his piercing eyes forcing her to turn her eyes away from his.

She shook her head in denial and let out the breath she had held since he had announced his decision. "No, I'm just.... surprised. I did not see this coming."

"Right! You don't have to change your last name or wear any signs of marriage. We will just sign the marriage certificate. And don't worry, your child will have the name of your husband. Not much time has passed since..."

He could not complete his sentence and speak of the death of her husband or utter the name she remembered with reverence. The words refused to roll over his tongue and his mouth just left hanging. Ghost of a smile hovered over her lips and she gave him a curt nod.

"I understand taking part in, uh, those rituals might trigger some memories for you. Let's just keep it simple! I'll ask Shekhar to look into the finer details right away," he said, turning around to leave, when her grip on his arm halted him in his tracks.

Her icy fingers against his warm skin made a shudder run down his spine. Despite the low temperature, her touch, as always, burnt him like no flame could. And her eyes. Her eyes aimed daggers in a manner so precise that his heart could not escape, even if it desired to do so.

"Thank you so much, Vikram! I cannot help but wonder how different our lives would have turned out if you had showed a fraction of this compassion and understanding years ago when you broached the same topic. Maybe we wouldn't be drowning in the abyss of darkness like we are."

_________________________________________________