Part 16

Her words gave way to an anxious frenzy to take over the apprehension that had been troubling him since she had walked in through the door. She had splashed icy cold water over his dazed mind and on the plans he had for her.

Despite the tempestuous storm taking over his tumultuous mind, Vikram kept his mask of stoic indifference in place. The immaculate manipulator that he was, he could not afford to show the vulnerabilities tugging at his mask, threatening to expose his true self to her.

"Well, one less thing to worry about. However, I'm afraid I cannot accept your resignation as, I am sure, you expected."

The way her soft facial features contorted in dismay betrayed the fact that she had expected the same from him. She was naïve, but not naïve enough to expect a man as obsessed as he would relinquish his hold on her.

Unfortunately, she was not shrewd or cunning enough to deduce his next move, either.

"I will accept your resignation but under one condition," said Vikram Singhal, playing with the paperweight akin to the manner he was playing with the woman trembling in fury.

"And why are you under the impression that I will respect that condition, sir?"

Shikha feigned determination, knowing that if Vikram Singhal wanted something, he would get it by hook or by crook. She knew her words would count as feeble and futile efforts of a fawn to fight off the mighty lion and nothing more.

Her shivering form and quivering lips had given away her fears to her predator. His pupils dilated with desire and a lethally addicting ecstasy as he inched closer every moment in fulfilling them.

"You cannot leave the company without serving your notice period, until and unless you pay me a compensation of ₹3,00,000, and as far as I know, it is not possible in your case to bring that amount. That leaves you with no choice but to comply with my wishes," said Vikram. He smirked at her rattled form.

She inhaled, gathering every bit of strength remaining in her and hoped against the hope that he would not demand what she had imagined.

"What do you want, Sir?"

"You. I want you."

Shikha's lips twitched, trying to stop the sobs from escaping her quivering lips. Her breath hitched in her throat as she stood rooted to her spot, almost as if she was waiting to wake up from her worst nightmare.

She let out a wry chuckle. "It was a lie, wasn't it? The tall claims of being a one-woman man and searching for someone who would return what you had lost. Lies. Sugarcoated. Farfetched."

Vikram's triumphant smirk morphed into a defeated frown and then into a scowl befitting only the sinless accused of blasphemy. Vikram rose from his seat and took long strides to reach her side.

"Several things were a part of the tirade, Shikha, but not those claims."

Shikha huffed in indignation and shook her head. "Oh? Do you expect me to believe you? The one who plotted a sinister plan to trap an innocent woman through his cunning charms?"

"Shikha, I- "

"You claimed to believe only in the institution of marriage, isn't it? What happened to the belief when you declared your desires for me moments ago?"

Vikram shut his eyes to stop himself from bursting out at her. It did not help that she was pushing all the wrong buttons and the fear that he would never admit to anyone of losing her was overpowering his rationality.

He pulled his phone out of his pockets and pressed the speed dial number assigned to Shekhar. A meek voice in his head attempted to stop him, but the anxious frenzy of obsession had taken over the reins of his mind.

"Shekhar. It's time for the boy."

His cold and determined voice made shivers run across her spine. His piercing and alluring eyes almost burned into her with his penetrating gaze. The tense atmosphere and the morose expressions on his face revealed to her it had not been a good idea to call out his claims as lies.

The same terrified and petrified part of her compelled her to take a step backwards. Another one followed when she saw he had taken one step in her direction in response to her attempts to create distance between them.

She wanted to run away and hole herself away in some place where he could not find her, but with his influence and power; she knew she cannot escape him. Not when he stated his desire to claim her.

His eyes were throwing daggers of fire at her. His flared nostrils, staggered breaths and clenched fists warned her of the impending doom. She tried to appear composed and calm, but she knew he could see through her pretence.

Their eyes remained locked in a passionate embrace till the sound of the door opening, revealing Shekhar and Rohan, broke it.

"Rohan.."

Realization struck her and burned her conscience like a lightening does to a withering tree. Her dear friend was going to be a pawn in the game which Vikram wanted to win. And given the history of the man, it was not wrong to say that the chances of Vikram Singhal losing were slim.

"Sir.."

"Rohan, isn't it?"

Rohan nodded, with a baffled expression. Does your friend demonstrate that they care for you, Rohan?"

Vikram's question surprised Rohan, and he looked at a crestfallen Shikha to find out the gravity of the situation they were in. Her glistening eyes muddled his mind further, and he nodded in response to the question posed by his boss.

"You share great friendship, don't you?"

The questions about his friendship with Shikha were making no sense to an oblivious Rohan.

"Yes, Sir. I am sorry, I don't follow what's- "

"Do you think your friendship matters to her enough to force her to marry me? Do you think she cares for you enough to marry me to save your life?"

The questions fired by Vikram stupefied Rohan. His eyes turned into saucers as he turned towards Shikha, who relinquished her control over her sobs and allowed them to spill out of her lips.

"Sir, what are you- "

"No? How about we add her dear sister and to-be brother-in-law's life to the balance? Do you think it will incline her towards 'yes' or 'no'?"

______________________________________________________