Part 9: Sunlight

Bygone

Part 9 • Sunlight

They keep moving, staying close to the darker shadows and out of the rain as much as possible. Sakura had to glare Hidan into silence, already anticipating the storm of curses that was about to fall from his lips.

Stealth is their best option at the moment. Slipping out will be hard with the jinchuriki guarding the main entry point but, if they're quick and quiet about it, they could force their way out from the side of the village while everyone is distracted with the terrorist attack.

The only problem with taking a side exit is the lack of knowledge in the surrounding area and how to navigate. She's a Konoha shinobi, born and raised, she isn't exactly an expert on navigating the mountains especially during a storm. They originally planned on leaving through the main entry point since it'd be quicker and easier to navigate but Sakura wasn't a war veteran for nothing.

If Uchiha Madara didn't do her in, something like weather and terrain sure as hell wasn't about to. It's not only insulting to her various mentors, and experience, but to her pride as well. She'll survive, no worries there. She just has to make sure her travel companion does as well.

Sometimes Sakura forgets that Hidan is a sixteen year old now and not immortal. It's a good thing but working with someone so inexperienced compared to her can be frustrating. It doesn't help that he's stubborn and willing to fight her every step of the way.

Carefully keeping Hidan behind her, she leads the way through back alleys toward the west side of the village. Using as little chakra as possible, she placed a genjutsu over the both of them but focusing mainly on her younger rouge-nin. She can handle anyone that might be thrown at them but Hidan still has a long way to go.

An explosion goes off in the distance, sounds of fighting getting fainter. She didn't expect the battle to be long — terrorists or not, they were still a bunch of civilians that got cocky. Sakura doesn't concern herself with them — she has no attachments and they were anything but innocent. Her morals may be skewed but she still knows that killing innocents is a big no.

Signatures catch on her range, making her slow the both of them to a stop. They're close to the edge of the village but not close enough. A dead sprint with no interruptions and they could probably make it, after that is up to debate.

She catches Hidan's attention with a hand motion, keeping her eyes on their surroundings. "When I say so, run. Don't stop for anything. Not until I give the all clear," she commands quietly, already shifting into a defensive stance.

Hidan stares at her for a moment, gritting his teeth in obvious protest, but nods all the same. His hands grip at the naginata awkwardly, unused to a weapon that isn't a scythe or that he's had for long.

Sakura notices and quickly grabs a storage scroll from one of her pockets, tossing it over without looking. "Might as well use a weapon you can use in case you lose the stick," she explains with a shrug when he quietly grunts in confusion.

It takes a moment but then the implications set in and he grins, storing the scroll somewhere safe and close on his body. He won't take it out yet, knowing Pinky would rather hold off on getting higher bounties on their heads. Hidan doesn't know much about the woman, but she has an end goal - one that she won't allow anything to get in her way.

Annoying as she may be, Hidan can respect that.

The signatures get closer, one pauses, the others pause next, then-

"Run!" Sakura spits as the signatures dart toward them.

Hidan springs out, Sakura only a second behind him with several kunai gripped between her fingers. Running on rocks in the rain isn't difficult for a shinobi but it can get dangerous very fast. Lose your concentration and the chakra beneath your feet could peter out enough for you to slip.