four

after a few more beers and a handful of awkward interactions with people i pretended to remember, the nightlife had started to pick up. i didn't think it was possible but the crowd seemed to grow, pushing slowly into the lounge room and bringing with it more loud noises and dizzying sensations that tainted my small moments of peace. even though it was momentary, it was a blessing.

eventually, the room was full, the wall of dancers ending only a few meters in front of me and a collection of sleeping drunks had started to form around me and travis. the stench of alcohol, weed and even vomit was almost overwhelming, the smells, accompanied by the numbingly loud music, making me feel light-headed and dizzy. i decided to put my unfinished drink on the floor, making a mental note to stop for a while.

once i looked up again, my vision began to slightly blur. after sitting down for almost an hour, my fast movements hadn't caught up to me yet and everything around me seemed to spin, colours and motions blending together.

"shit."

my head started to tense and my heart was beating loud in my ears. or many that was the music, i couldn't tell.

i tried to focus, locking my eyes on a group of people who were dancing close to me in an attempt to prevent some sort of sensory overload. it seemed inevitable, but it was worth a try. their movements were hypnotic, every gesture and action a swirl of colour that i couldn't seem to look away from.

that was when i saw her.

it seemed like the whole world had slowed down, music becoming muffled in my ears as i became transfixed on a girl. she danced around in beams of light to a now distant melody. she looked to be floating, so graceful and mesmerizing that i didn't even know if what i was seeing was real. she was shining out in a room that was quickly darkening and obscuring by the second.

i felt like i was in a trance, hallucinating and unable to break my gaze in the fear that she would disappear forever once i did. an overwhelming sensation swept over me as i realised that she was looking right at me, our eyes locking for a split second before-

"schlatt?"

i almost jumped out of my skin when i felt a hand grip my sleeve. looking down i saw that travis was finally awake, rubbing his eyes and slightly yawning as he said, "you showed up?"

i just stared, trying to understand what was happening, what was real. quickly turning back to where the girl once stood, i was greeted with strangers.

she was gone.

travis tugged at my sleeve again, whining my name to get my attention. music forcefully filled my ears and my senses were sharp, sending me into a spiral as i tried to regain my bearings.

"hey umm, yeah i came." i half-answered, looking around the room in pathetic desperation.

when did it get so loud in here?

travis barely mumbled a response; "it was about time," before laying down again, half awake. this kid was a mess.

i tried to recall what had happened, looking back towards the spot on the dancefloor where i was staring only a few minutes prior. "oh god, i was staring? what a creep." i thought to myself, a wave of both shame and embarrassment washing over me as i hoped i was dreaming.

my mind was in overdrive, a million thoughts rushing through while one stood out above all others: 

"who was she?"