ten

a group of people had decided to stumble from the house and into the backyard, taking no notice of us as they made a beeline towards the pool in their delirious state, a combination that i knew would only end in disaster. amongst them i saw connor, already stripping off and laughing loudly with those around him

luna followed my eyes and asked, "a friend of yours?"

"yeah," i shrugged, "connor. if u dare him to do something you bet he'll do it." we both smiled at the thought, but the amusement started to sting as reality once again came crashing down.

i sighed, "these used to be so much fun."

luna turned back to me and gave a look that implied for me to go on.

"we would have a lot of fun, me and the guys. i would probably be up with them right now, drinking myself blind and living like there was no tomorrow." i drifted off, not really wanting to elaborate more than that.

"if it makes you feel any better, i'm not a big fan of parties either." she said, "always too loud, too crowded."

after a pause, she added, "maybe if i had met you here before tonight, they wouldn't have been so bad."

i laughed, looking up from my can and moved my hand behind to her, leaning on it to shift closer. i let myself smirk, acting proud and cocky in response. "oh yeah? the feelings mutual." i shook my head and drained the rest of my drink, a stupid smile on my face."

"you know, it's funny." i continued, "i saw you. earlier tonight, across the dancefloor."

the fond memory decided to return and paint the image of when i had first seen luna, the moment seeming so distant despite it only being 5 hours prior.

i let out a slight laugh and tried to recall it, "you were dancing with a group of people close to me, i could have spotted you from a mile away."

i turned to face luna, who was now looking at me with eyes filled with what could only be described as fascination, warmth. she seemed fixated on every word that left my mouth.

i let myself smile, staring back as i muttered words that i had been thinking since the moment i laid eyes on her:

"i thought you were the most beautiful person i had ever seen."

her expression rose into a beaming smile, eyes gleaming, skin glowing. i was taken aback like i had been so many times before, her beauty, her presence. they were something i knew i would never want to forget.

without needed warning, we both started to lean, our faces dropping and attention shifting to our lips. my hand started to rise towards the side of her face, holding it and bringing it towards me as she allowed me to do so, the gap between us growing smaller. our eyes closed, hearts racing in sync. my mind was buzzing as excitement filled the air and-

"ayyyy, is that schlatt?!"

a loud voice cut through the noise from the commotion nearby, making us both abruptly freeze and turn towards the source. we were met with a drunk cooper, running over to us with irregular steps.

"cooper?" i asked, a million thoughts rushing through my head.

"heyy! long time no see-" before he could finish, he tripped on a nearby hose and fell face first at the bottom of our stairs with a thud.

luna and i both let go of each other and raced towards him. cooper had rolled himself over with a groan and i knelt down next to him, grabbing his face with my hand to assess the damage,

"cooper?! are you alright??" i asked, looking over him hastily.

he just gave me a lazy smile, "better than ever."