eleven

luna and i only had to glance at each other for a short moment before we had formed the unspoken plan to help him up and take him somewhere else. we positioned ourselves on either side of him while he looked at us with half-closed eyes, a stupid smile still on his face as he laughed slightly.

"on the count of three ?" i asked and with a nod she agreed.

"one, two, three!" after a straining pull we had managed to get cooper off the floor and onto his feet, his weight shifting as he struggled to support himself even with our help. despite this, he was still laughing to himself like nothing was wrong. i couldn't help but laugh along until his expression suddenly changed and it looked like he was going to be sick.

"oh no, cooper? you okay buddy??" i shook his face slightly and it only proved my point further as he seemed to struggle to keep it all in ...

luna noticed this too, "we should take him to the bathroom." i nodded, shifting coopers weight onto me as she moved forwards and slid the back door open, allowing the loud noise we had managed to block out back into our ears.

i let out a small sigh as i realised how far the bathroom was and how hard it was going to be to drag cooper through the crowds. i slowly walked with him, one step at a time as he tried not to throw up and luna pushed ahead, making a small path for us through the dancing bodies. returning to the heat, sweat and noise from the cool air outside was enough to make me sick, but i kept my head down and soon enough, the dark floor turned into bright tiles.

i looked up to find luna near the toilet, lifting the seat up and i let cooper fall to the floor and lean into it, perfectly timed as he let all the alcohol and food out of his system in a series of disgusting sounds. we looked on in concern as i rubbed his back but he was soon laughing once again, his voice echoing in the bowl. i smiled and put my head in my hands, somehow finding this ridiculous situation humorous as well.

luna did the same, laughing slightly, "a friend of yours?" i shook my head, "unfortunately."

we stayed with cooper for a little while longer, cleaning him up as he slowly came back to his normal self. i tried to ignore the collection of bottles and illicit substances on the countertops, and the obvious mess from multiple trips to the bathroom much like this that no one had bothered to clean.

cooper had moved to sit on the floor and was talking to luna, who was listening to him ramble on about some nonsense that only he understood as he failed to form complete sentences. nevertheless, she pretended to follow the conversation as i leant on an opposite wall and watched on.

the bright light lit her up in a way that colourful rooms and night skies could never, it let me really take her in and it made my stomach twist. were we really about to kiss? i knew that we were both full of alcohol, by the way our actions were slow and how my vision spun slightly, but was that the only reason for our behaviour?

i suddenly got scared that i was pushing this onto her, but the realization that she was leaning in as well told me that she wanted this too, that it was okay and that without coopers interruption ... we would be in a very different situation.