I V

DINNER WAS an ordeal. They all ate in a dining hall, which Andorra had pieced together was like a cafeteria, only the dining hall in this place was far larger than the cafeteria at her old high school.

Gone was the dingy linoleum tiles, the bright overhead lights, the sticky metal fold-down tables with the attached benches. Gone was the smell of cafeteria food and ketchup. Gone were the lunch ladies and the lines to get food and the loud chatter and the what do you have for lunch today?

Instead, the dining hall was a grand room, practically a square, with circle tables. It looked almost like a wedding reception, with white table clothes and fancy china and cloth napkins. Above them were chandeliers, one for each table, and there were large, floor to ceiling windows that covered one entire wall. Outside the windows were a view into the mountains.

Coralia knew exactly where to go. She grabbed Andorra's arm and hauled her towards one of the far tables on the right, not quite in the back, but certainly not in front. Bort and Hans were both already sitting there, arguing over something, but when they saw Coralia, they grew quiet.

"Leelee, check it out. They're making roast beef for dinner tonight."

Coralia rolled her eyes, but it was good natured. She sat down beside Hans, then turned to Andorra. "Roast beef is this dummy's favorite."

Dummy or not, Andorra could hear the teasing in Coralia's voice. These were her friends. Something Andorra had never had, not really. Not with Kyle, who she had once believed to be her friend. Not with Noah, who she had once believed to love her.

Bort was saying something about classes tomorrow, but Andorra was too busy watching as her betrothed walked into the room. The word had haunted her for the rest of the day since she had met with Headmaster Fizulo, but the word hadn't been wrong. She was to be married to him, even if she didn't want to be.

Anders walked with such confidence that it made Andorra sick with disgust. But what made her stomach roll was who he was sitting with.

Aihfie, Eve, and Jezebel all sat at the table. When they saw Anders, they waved in a hello, waving him down and leaning on their hands to talk to him. They were genuinely happy to see him, the boy who would become king. Their king, Andorra realized. He would be their king, but she had a feeling she would never be their Queen.

"Oh, ew. I see you've spotted Anders." Coralia was leaning around Andorra to get a closer look.

"Gag me," Hans said, pretending to gag. Bort let out a laugh, also looking at Anders. His nose scrunched up in disgust. "Wish he just wouldn't come back."

It seemed to Andorra like Anders wasn't everyone's favorite after all.

"I'm sorry you have to marry the guy," Bort said, and he actually did look sorry for Andorra. "I wish you could become Queen without him. He's just... he's such a meanie."

Only someone who looked like Bort could say meanie and get away with it. Despite having to be at least eighteen years old, he had the essence of an innocent child. Andorra wasn't sure if it was because his baby fat had yet to leave his face, or if it was because of his personality.

"I'll hire a hit man for you," Hans said, a clear opposite to Bort. Where Bort was soft, Hans seemed to be hard. His humor though was refreshing.

"Thanks. Maybe I'll take you up on that." Andorra let it slip before she realized maybe she shouldn't be saying that in front of a random faerie in Anlithamy. Because technically, her saying that was treason against the future King.