X X X V I I

THE NEXT Cadmus game was more challenging than Andorra expected. Of course, she had missed three games in between due to the concussion, but there was something about being on top of Viir, looking at the ground, and realizing she had fallen.

Had almost died.

Again.

Of course, there had been no real repercussions to Anders. Coach kept him on the team, the school didn't seem phased, and despite Clini and Mar being on her side, it felt like the rest of the team was actively against her. Eyeing her with the sort of contempt that they usually reserved for Monday morning classes.

Andorra tried to swallow her nerves. There were only a handful of games left until they reached the playoffs, and then championships. If they got that far. It was an eight game season, which to Andorra, felt incredibly short.

But, they were undefeated. And if they got into championships, maybe her team wouldn't hate her quite so much.

"Stop fidgeting so much," Clini hissed. "You're practically telling the entire team that you're the weakest link."

Andorra flushed red just as Mar shot him a look. "Okay, Clini, tone it down. Just because you're nervous doesn't mean you should bring it out on Andy."

Clini shook his head and clenched his hands on his wyvern. "You're right. I'm sorry. It's just that... my ex is on this team. And it's stressing me the fuck out."

Andorra squinted at the other players, trying to figure out who would be Clini's ex. She scanned the group, trying to find the fae in the crowd, but no one was really looking their way. She shrugged, looking towards Clini. "It's okay. I get it."

"Who is it?"

Clini cleared his throat, and Andorra watched as the skin behind his neck went a darker shade of a green. A blush. "He's the one with the ears. Spotted skin? Don't be quite so obvious when you look." He shot Mar a look at that.

Andorra scanned the other team, and right there on the left hand side was a faerie with skin that looked a lot like the fur of a deer. The skin had a brown, fur-like texture to it, with white spots that went up his legs and arms, disappearing under his uniform. And as Andorra looked up at his face, she understood what Clini meant by ears. His were long and droopy, like the kind you would find on a deer, or a moose.

He was looking right at Clini, but Andorra wasn't sure what sort of expression he was wearing. To her, it looked neutral. To Clini, she wasn't sure what he thought.

"Why did you break up?" Andorra watched as the coaches below talked to each other about something. It was then she noticed why they were having the hold up: Anders was storming onto the field.

"We aren't in the same caste. We dated in secret for a while, until both of us knew we had to let go. It wasn't healthy for us to fall in love, only to be denied the true pleasure of being together. So I left for Hornwell, and he left for his school." Clini shrugged, but Andorra knew it was forced. "It's not a big deal."

It sounded like a big deal. Andorra could practically hear the heartbreak in his voice. "This stupid caste. Who even put it in place?" Andorra grumbled. While she was relieved that she wasn't the only one who had to suffer because of it, she hated that Clini had to go through his own heartbreak.

"I'll probably end up staying single. Or, I could marry Demry. But I really don't want to marry Demry."

Andorra looked over Clini's head to mouth, who is Demry? to Mar. Mar shrugged in response.