X X V I I

THE TOWN center was packed for Cauladra. Andorra wasn't sure what she had been expecting, but it wasn't this. This was glorious.

Earlier in the day, Eve had taken her and Callum swimming at the local streams. They had a blast, but the water had been cold. Then, they had gone hiking up a beautiful mountain, and when they got to the top, you could see the entire court for miles. It was beautiful and breathtaking. But the best place of all was when Eve took them to the cove to watch the sunset. They got shaved ice, from in town, and ate it while they watched the sun streak the sky.

"I've never seen it quite like this," Eve had said, looking at Andorra. There had been pondering in her eyes, almost shock.

Now, in the town center, they stood with their lanterns. Callum looked the most out of place, but everyone else from the Summer Court looked exactly how Andorra had pictured. Some of them were less human-like than others, donning antlers, or skin that sparkled and glowed. Some looked like the faeries she played with as kids, with wings and everything. Little pixie-like creatures, and Andorra had been so pleasantly surprised that she had the most human urge: to take a picture.

Kids around them played with homemade versions of sprinklers, like on the fourth of July, and there were others that drank fae wine like water. The spirit was high, but there was also a sad undertone to the night. They were, after all, saying goodbye to loved ones.

Andorra held her lantern tightly, but it felt heavy in her arms. She felt mixed emotions, saying goodbye to her parents. To Noah. Not that she wouldn't continue to mourn her old life, but this did feel like a special moment. A momentous moment. She had been trying so hard to fit in that she had been pushing the mourning away. But now, she could embrace it, the loss of her old life, the loss of her family, the loss of a future ripped away from her.

Eve bumped her shoulder. "Are you okay? Do you want to get a drink? It may take the edge off."

No, she didn't want any. She needed to feel this, needed to mourn fully. She shook her head. "I'm okay. I want to experience this sober. I want to embrace it, you know? As my first Cauladra."

Besides, how embarrassing would it be for the future Queen to get plastered at this sad event? Not exactly how she wanted to portray herself.

Eve looked at Callum. "What about you?"

Callum scoffed. "What about me? What if someone tried to kill her? I'm not drinking on the job."

Eve stared at him for a long beat of time. "No one is going to try and kill her. Callum, these are her people. She's a Summer Fae. She's not in danger of her own people."

"I'm not talking about the Summer Fae. I'm talking about the Hunters that can slip by border lines, like in the Autumn Court."

"Okay, enough. Stop worrying so much. If you're that bothered, send out your Rali to parole the area. He'll seek to protect you, and maybe me be association."

The area around them was lit up with lanterns, casting light into the town center. Andorra felt completely safe, but if Callum was on edge, maybe this would help him. "Or, you could parole the area, since you didn't make a lantern."

Callum's eyes sharpened, but he wasn't glaring. "Fine. Let me do a parole quickly. Just to make sure."

When Callum was gone, Eve let out a long sigh. "He's insufferable."

"He's worried about dying." Andorra countered.

"I don't think that's it." Eve raised an eyebrow at her. "Andy, I think he's concerned about you."