XIV

ANDORRA WOULD never forget. How could she? Noah had warned her, trained her for this. And she was absolutely failing. How could she keep her human heart hidden? She was out crying in the public school library, and anyone could have seen her.

And worst of all, Callum had seen her. And despite him telling her he'd keep her secret safe, she doubted it. He wasn't a liar, but he couldn't be trusted, despite their truce.

So far, Andorra was feeling like a failure. The girl who had fought her way into Anlithamy was not this girl, sitting in class, feeling like she was ruining everything. How could she not feel this way? It had to change. She had to do something. Gain confidence, focus on studying, something. She would be Queen. She would gain their trust, their love, their allegiance.

Callum was right. Noah was right. Even Aihfie was right.

She needed to pay attention to class. It was english, which is the human world was a subject Andorra actually enjoyed. She straightened, trying to focus on what book the teacher was waving around. "Now that we're onto our Mytheics and Lore unit, I cannot wait for us to start this piece of literature. I have enough copies for everyone, and we'll be looking at the first chapter today. Tonight, I expect you to read to chapter five. Chapter five, people! I should see your planners out!"

This didn't seem very different to human english class. That alone seemed to make Andorra sink a little in her seat with relief. Fae had planners too. She got up with her classmates and made it to the front, her fingers reaching for one of the copies on the table. The cover was gorgeous. It was a large bird streaking across the cover, fire in its wake. Brightly Burning was the title.

"You're not the only one who wants a book, Princess." The voice was hard, nasty. Andorra's cheeks burned as she moved out of the way, mumbling an apology as she looked back at the girl. Andorra didn't know her, obviously, but the girl certainly knew her.

Andorra stumbled back to her seat, flipping the book open to the first page. She was hit then with how long it had been since she'd read a book. The last time she had held a book like this was back in class with Noah, doing their book report. The thought curdled her stomach.

The teacher set a timer on the board in front of them. "You have fifteen minutes to read chapter one. Once you finish, please take out your notebooks and begin to annotate the chapter. After the timer goes off, we'll discuss."

Fifteen minutes? To do all of that? Andorra began to read with vigor, her eyes racing to scan the words. Then, when she realized she wasn't actually reading, she had to go back and slow down.

It started with a girl and her bird. This tale is a cautionary one, to all the girls who feel the burning in their veins, and the call of the firebird that will set her free.

Andorra was engrossed in the book. By the time she finished chapter one, she didn't want to stop. Knowing what the teacher said about the unit being one of Lore and Mythics, she knew the book was probably a legend of Fae culture. She took out her notebook and began to jot down thoughts and questions. What is the significance of the feather? Did the feather set off the adventure, or was it the bird who chose her? Was she part of a prophecy too?

The timer went off, and the rest of the class stopped their jotting. "Perfect. So, who can explain the first chapter?"

A girl in the front began to speak, without being called on. "This story is clearly about the Flayre."

"What about the Flayre?" The teacher pushed.

"Well, it says that this is about a girl and her bird. And that the firebird will set her free. I think this is going to be about the main character feeling the pull of the firebird, and her denying the pull until it destroys her from within. Like the Rabium Bellua. Maybe the girl is really the Rabium Bellua!"